Dave Washington

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Taught Postgraduate
Alcuin
Modern History

What made you decide to run for York Sport President?
I absolutely love what I do as College Sport Officer, and I believe that I can make a genuine difference as York Sport President. I’m extremely passionate about the role, and above all else I want to help to develop sport at York and benefit all of our students.

Sum up your main policies.
– Introduction of a York Sport Union benefits card to provide deals and discounts both on and off campus to all AU fee payers, whilst also generating income through sponsorship.
– Creation of a sports volunteering scheme and centralised qualifications hub to allow students to use sport to gain new skills and qualifications, increase their employability and improve their CV.
– Ensure that sport is accessible for everyone at any level, and bolster participation by improving communication, integrating sport into the rest of the Union and creating a participation pathway.

Describe yourself in three words.
Passion, policies, experience.

What makes you different to the other candidates?
Over the past two years I’ve proved that I can thrive in this role through my work as College Sport Officer. I’ve transformed the system, making it much more professional with new additions such as the College Sport website, activators and of course College Varsity. My work has helped college sport to become stronger now than ever before, and that experience combined with my passion and policies makes me the perfect candidate. My policies are achievable, progressive and can make a difference to each and every one of you, but for that to happen I need your help.

What experience do you have that will be good for the role?
As I say, I think this is my greatest strength. Having run college sport for the past two years, I understand how sport at this university works. I’ve demonstrated that I can be successful in that role and that I can do exactly the same as York Sport President. I’ve also been Editor of York Vision, running a major society, and played sport at both college and university level, so this is an area that I believe sets me apart from the other candidates.

What will you do differently to Cass Brown, the current York Sport President?
One of my big points is about communication, and with the new YUSU website planned for next year. I believe that I can use that to improve the way we communicate with students and reach those that we don’t currently engage. I want to do increased blogging, use of newsletters and social media, as well as sitting down with sport club presidents, college captains and others involved with sport to effectively communicate everything that is happening, which at the moment is one of our biggest weaknesses as a union.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourself.
I used to have a marine aquarium and had two clownfish called Wallace and Gromet.

What do you think of the other candidates?
I have a lot of respect for them. I’ve worked with them all in the past in different capacities, and they have all helped to develop their clubs over the past twelve months. I’m not here to criticise any of them in any way, and I think that we’re very fortunate to have such a talented set of candidates. I hope though that people will see my merits and the work that I have already done to benefit sport at York, and see the potential I have to develop it further.

What do you think the biggest challenge you’ll face during elections will be?
I’ve been through campaigning before and I know that it is a tough and tiring, but enjoyable two weeks. Last year, my main problem was that I ran against an incumbent who had already done an excellent job, and once again one of the biggest challenges I face is the opposition for the role. I believe that I’m the best person for the role, it’s just about convincing you to believe that too.

What’s your campaign strategy?
Talk to and listen to people as much as anything, and make sure that I am out and about throughout the campaigning period. I have so much passion and enthusiasm for the role, and I believe that if I can get that across to people they’ll be persuaded to vote for me. Elections are a great way for YUSU to engage with students, and I’ll always be there to listen out for any advice you have about how we can improve the Union or if you just want a chat.