York take victory in the Women's 3's hockey

29/04/2023

York start the day of Roses Hockey fixtures on a positive note with a 3-1 victory in the Women's 3’s fixture.

Article Image

Image by Hannah Carley

By Hannah Carley

A small yet lively crowd greeted both teams at the start of this match, with lots of support from those Hockey players due to compete later today. It was Lancaster who were able to channel this energy with an impressive goal in the match's opening minutes.

York would go on to dominate possession for most of the first half, but a strong and scrappy defence from Lancaster left them struggling to convert this into goals scored. Even a close chance from York was not able to connect after a strong save on Lancaster’s behalf.

However, Lancaster’s defence was leading to a number of fouls, offering York more chances to equalise from penalty corners than the away side were likely comfortable. York arguably could have maximised these opportunities more effectively, but eventually successfully converted one of three penalty corners in this half into a goal. The match entered half time at even 1-1 score as a result.

The second half started with another rapid attack from the Lancaster side, though this was stopped quickly by the York defence. Lancaster’s first penalty corner of the match also had no consequent scoring.

The crowd grew in size and volume grew as the second half drew on, and the enthusiastic  home support seemed to instil new energy into the York women. The defence of York did well to stop Lancaster’s early advances and the attacking strength of the team was on much better display in the second half.

A stunning high shot was what eventually drew the home side ahead to great excitement from the crowd. York followed this up with a number of on target shots to keep the pressure on their opponents - Lancaster’s defence did great work here to keep the scoreline as narrow as it was.

However a further penalty corner for York would lead to a follow up goal that saw the home side draw further ahead in the match’s closing minutes. Lancaster rallied to respond with two great shots that was close to giving them a hope to equalise, but it was not meant to be. Last year’s victors  would have to settle for a loss that did not reflect the quality of some of their defensive work.

So a 3-1 victory for York was met with great excitement from the players and supporters alike as the final whistle blew. York will be hoping to replicate this success in the rest of today’s hockey fixtures where even more points are available for the overall Roses tally.