Lancaster Victorious in Men's 1s Hockey.

29/04/2023

A composed performance saw Lancaster take a convincing 2-0 victory in the Men's 1s Hockey this evening.

Article Image

Image by Hannah Carley

By Hannah Carley

There was a large crowd gathered to see the last hockey match of the day, with both teams determined after spectating the previous women’s fixture.

The teams seemed evenly matched in the opening minutes but as the first half continued Lancaster were the side dominating possession. The away side spent significantly more time on the attack, translating into many more scoring opportunities, most of which York, to their credit, were able to defend.

A number of penalty corners for Lancaster and some great saves from York goalkeeper Dave Barraclough were the main highlights of a first half that looked to be goaless until a well-timed shot from Lancaster in the final minutes. A 1-0 lead at the halfway mark was not an accurate reflection of a half where Lancaster spent the majority of the time on the attack, but regardless the away side were able to go into halftime on a positive note.

The second half started much like the first half ended, with Lancaster again dominating the possession. The York team were clearly frustrated by Lancaster’s performance and saw a number of green cards come their way this half for aggressive play. At one point a York Player even launched an aerial shot that landed the ball on top of the sports centre roof!

However, as the half continued York managed to find some pace and form, working together better and getting some well placed shots on target. They were not, however, able to equalise, as Lancaster continued their strong form and showed some great defensive skill. Both teams fought hard as the march continued, with green cards for players on both sides.

Late in the game a severe foul from York saw Lancaster given the opportunity to cement their lead with a penalty stroke. They converted this successfully to the delight of the Lancaster fans that were in attendance. York responded with some great attacking moments in the match’s final minutes but were not able to score.

Ultimately,the 2-0 victory went to a composed and organised Lancaster side, repeating their success both from last year and the early Women's 1s match. York will be hoping for a different result in the indoor hockey fixtures tomorrow.