King's trip to York

22/11/2022

King Charles III unveils a statue in York

Article Image

Image by JACK SWIRES

By Chris Stapleton

Their Majesties King Charles III and Camilla, the Queen Consort, unveiled a statue of Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in front of the York Minster. The statue, designed and carved by stone mason Richard Bossons, was unveiled at the West Front of the Minster on Wednesday 9 November 2022. This followed a service and an official royal welcome by Senior Ministers.

The King entered York at Micklegate, the traditional royal entrance into the city, where he was greeted by the Lord Mayor, Cllr David Carr, the Lady Mayoress, Lynda Carr, the Sheriff, Sheriff ’s Consort, along with the Leader of the Council, Cllr Keith Aspden, Town Clerk and Deputy Town Clerk. His entrance was viewed by a crowd of York residents and tourists. Micklegate was the most important of York’s four main medieval gates. Traditionally, as reigning monarchs pass through, they stop to ask the Lord Mayor’s permission to enter the city.

However, not all welcomed the new King: a man was detained for throwing eggs at the King and Queen Consort, although none actually hit the royals. In 2012, Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II received the time honoured Monarch’s welcome, with a proclamation of welcome in a medieval atmosphere as performed by traditionally garbed musicians and musketeers. The last official engagement of King Charles III in York was in 2013. During his trip, he visited the National Railway Museum, the Undercroft of the York Minster and the Minster Stoneyard.

Prior to the visit, the Lord Mayor of York Cllr David Carr voiced his anticipation and gratitude towards the YorkMinster team. “To extend the traditional greeting to King Charles III on what we hope will be the first of many visits to York will doubtless be one of the highest honours of my career and my period in the great office of Lord Mayor of York. I am thrilled to be able to welcome him on what I am certain will be a day which combines great joy at his visit and reflection on the great service and legacy of his late mother, Queen Elizabeth II. My thanks and congratulations go to the whole team at York Minster for the work they have done to make this historic occasion possible.”

Leader of City of York Council Cllr Keith Aspden echoed the Mayor’s welcome, describing the city’s relationship with royalty. “York’s unique connection to theCrown and the Monarch is an important part of our city’s history. We were honoured to welcome Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II to York eleven times during her reign. The King’s first visit will be another proud moment for York and I know that local residents will share our delight that the King and Queen Consort have chosen to visit our city so early in their reign. “It is a great honour both that the new King and Queen Consort should choose to visit our historic city, and that York Minster’s tribute to Her late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II is the focus of this historic occasion.”