Uni of York set for THE awards

05/10/2022

The University of York sees award nominations and league table gains

Article Image

Image by Luke Snell

By Raphael Henry

THE UNIVERSITY OF YORK has recently been shortlisted for the Times Higher Education Awards, described as the “Oscars of higher education”. The University is up for awards in three categories: International Collaboration of the Year, Outstanding Support for Students, and Outstanding Technician of the Year.

The nomination for International Collaboration of the Year goes to the Global Monitoring of Pharmaceuticals Project, led by Dr John Wilkinson and Professor Alistair Boxall of the Department of Environment and Geography. Their project, which monitors the impact of pharmaceutical pollution on the world’s rivers, bringing together 127 people from 87 institutions around the world. Responding to the nomination, Dr Wilkinson said: “It is an honour for us as a consortium to be recognised by being shortlisted and I’m confident it will serve as a catalyst to continue our collaborative research.”

The second category for which the University of York was nominated, Outstanding Support for Students, recognises the Access and Outreach Team and the Student Support Team for their work in creating a “holistic, person-centred support programme spanning the entire journey into and beyond university.”

The final category, Outstanding Technician of the Year, is in recognition of Abigail Mortimer, a scientific glassblower in the Department of Chemistry. According to the University: “Abby produces large volumes of specialist glassware, and provides an almost endless repairs service – every undergraduate passing through York Chemistry Department has used something either made or fixed by Abby.”

In recent weeks, the University of York has also achieved 17th place in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2023, rising two places from last year. Furthermore, the University has moved into the top spot in the Yorkshire and Humber region, beating out fellow Russell Group universities Leeds and Sheffield.

Additionally, the University rose eight places to rank ninth for research quality, with the Good University Guide praising York’s “impressive performance” in the 2021 Research Excellence Framework. The University Guide further highlighted the University of York’s high rates of graduate employment, with 82 percent of York graduates in skilled jobs or further study within fifteen months of graduating.

Vice-Chancellor Professor Charlie Jeffery welcomed these new rankings, saying: “We are really looking forward to our start of term, so this is brilliant news as we welcome our new and returning students.

"Our improved position reflects a huge amount of hard work and dedication by our staff across several years, including the very difficult circumstances of the pandemic. My thanks go to them as they look ahead to new ways of strengthening the student experience and driving on the impact our research brings to society.”