£293k to get to Hull and back

25/02/2022

The true cost of the free coach service between Hull and York revealed

Article Image

Image by Chris Sampson

By Luke Brown

The University spent £293,488.011 on funding the free coach service between Hull and York, a Nouse Freedom of Information request has revealed.

Last term, some York students had to live in Hull accommodation due to rising demand to study and live in York.

The University said: “Here at York, every year a significant number of students choose to find their own private accommodation and so every year we typically have many more students coming to York than we provide accommodation for on campus.

“[W]e are increasingly aware of a reduction in the availability of privately-let accommodation in York, which has compounded the issue.”

The University offered the free coach service, alongside free gym memberships and a 25 percent rent reduction, to support and compensate affected students.

All York students living in Hull have now been offered the opportunity to move into Anne Lister College, York’s newest college on Campus East.

David Kato College, also located on Campus East, is scheduled to open to students in September.

The University says that David Kato College will provide “significant additional accommodation”, hopefully preventing the need for any York students to live in Hull.

Anne Lister College has not yet fully opened, with half of the college still under construction. Anne Lister College is set to fully open in September.

When Anne Lister College and David Kato College both open this September, there will be an extra 1480 bedrooms on Campus East.

Patrick O’Donnell, YUSU President, said: “After lobbying from YUSU Officers, the University was right to put in a range of support for York students based in Hull during the autumn term. While the costs to the University for providing rent reductions, transport and other benefits were high, they were necessary to make sure students did not lose out on their experience, through no fault of their own.

“The high costs of renting in York, as well as the severe pressures on housing across the city, are clearer than ever before and we are working very closely with the Council and student housing charities to look at our city-wide housing stock, and how we can improve the cost of living for all York students.”

The University told Nouse: “We had a duty of care and responsibility to support our students who were temporarily accommodated in Hull, and this shuttle bus was a really important part of this. It helped students reliably and safely travel to and from campus for their studies, reduced disruption and eased the financial burden of the inconvenience.

“In order to increase capacity and choice, more rooms were made available earlier this year when Anne Lister College opened."