University of York staff to go on strike again in February

27/01/2022

York staff in the University and College Union (UCU) will take part in up to 10 days of industrial action

Article Image

Image by Luke Snell

By Luke Brown

University staff in the University and College Union (UCU) will go on strike again for up to 10 days in February.

68 universities will be affected, including the University of York.

UCU members are striking in opposition to a proposed 35 percent cut to their guaranteed retirement income as well as frustration over current pay and working conditions. University staff have seen a 20 percent real term pay cut in the past 12 years, and many have complained about high workloads during the pandemic.

UCU has confirmed that the first strike, affecting 44 universities, will take place between 14-18 February.

The second strike, affecting all 68 universities, will run from 21-22 February.

The final three strike days, at just 39 universities, will be 28 February and 1-2 March.

UCU did not say which universities would not be affected by the first and third strikes.

Further strikes are "on the cards", UCU said in a press release.

Jo Grady, UCU’s general secretary, said: "Time is quickly running out for vice chancellors to avert strike action, but it can be done.

"Staff need a proper pay rise, action to tackle insecure contracts, unsafe workloads and pay inequality, and for devastating pension cuts to be revoked. Any disruption that occurs will be the clearest indication yet that university bosses don't value their staff.

"This wave of strike action is a fight for the future of higher education and staff are proud to stand alongside students in the fight for an education system that treats students and staff with respect."