Premier League Round-Up: Gameweek 14

Liverpool and Arsenal triumph, whilst Burnley continue to struggle

Newcastle United 0-3 West Ham: An impressive attacking display from the Hammers earnt them their second away win of the season, against a Newcastle side who didn’t seem to turn up. The home fans did turn up, just after eleven minutes in protest, which turned out to be the wrong time to come. Javier Hernandez put the visitors in front as thousands took to their seats, from Robert Snodgrass’ sublime cross. However, Snodrgass was poor for the remainder of the game, losing the ball in key areas. Newcastle had several good chances to get back on level terms in the first half, but just couldn’t finish them off. It was clear to see which team had spent millions in the Summer. Hernandez grabbed his second of the game, firing home Arnautovic’s pass, but it should really have been his third or fourth though, as he missed several easy goals prior to this. Felipe Anderson rounded off a delightful afternoon for the Hammers fans in the dying moments, using his strength to break clear and put the ball past Martin Dubravka. Newcastle were poor, which was surprising given their impressive run of three consecutive victories. They’ll hope to put things right when they travel to Goodison Park to face Everton. West Ham host Cardiff and Crystal Palace tomorrow and on Saturday, where they’ll be looking to pick up six points.

Arsenal 4-2 Tottenham Hotspur: Yesterday’s North London Derby was one of the more exciting in recent years, providing six goals, a brawl and a red card. Jan Vertonghen’s handball just ten minutes into the first half gifted Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang a penalty, which he calmly converted. This wouldn’t be the last error the Belgian would make at the Emirates Stadium. But, despite this, Spurs ended up going into half time with a 2-1 lead. Eric Dier headed home Christian Eriksen’s free-kick, only to then goad in front of the Arsenal fans and start a mass brawl. Both clubs have since been charged with failing to control their players. The goal that put Spurs in front came from the spot – Harry Kane sending the away fans into bedlam after Rob Holding gave away a silly foul. Unai Emery brought on Lacazette and Ramsey straight after the break, and it proved to be two fantastic substitutions. Ramsey assisted Aubameyang’s equaliser 15 minutes into the second-half, and Lacazette put Arsenal in front with 15 minutes to go. Just moments later, Arsenal were 4-2 up, when Lucas Torreira got away to seal all three points and the North London bragging rights. Things got worse for Tottenham at the end of the game too, as Jan Vertonghen got his second yellow of the game, meaning he won’t feature in Wednesday’s clash with Southampton. No shot on target from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been saved since the 25th August – Arsenal certainly seem to have got their money’s worth here…

Liverpool 1-0 Everton: Divock Origi’s late, late goal gave Jurgen Klopp’s men all three points and Merseyside bragging rights yesterday evening. Liverpool had most of the possession throughout the game but didn’t offer much from key attacking opportunities. Everton will no doubt be regretting the chances they missed, with Yerry Mina, Andre Gomes and Gylfi Sigurdsson all coming close in the first half. Belgian Divock Origi was making his first Premier League appearance since August 2017, and he certainly delivered. In the last seconds of the game, Virgil van Dijk miskicked the ball, providing Jordan Pickford with what should normally be a routine catch for a top goalkeeper. Just what England’s shot stopper was doing is another question though, as he spilled it into the path of Origi, who barely had to touch the ball to put it in. The main talking point of the game since has been Jurgen Klopp’s celebrations, which have seen him be charged by the FA. When Liverpool scored, the Liverpool manager charged straight into the middle of the field. There has been a mixed reaction to this; some calling it pure passion, whilst others like Danny Mills have said it’s ‘completely wrong.’ The win keeps Liverpool just two points behind Manchester City, whilst Everton remain sixth, level on points with Manchester United.

Crystal Palace 2-0 Burnley: Crystal Palace got their long awaited first home victory of the season on Saturday, against a Burnley side who have not looked anywhere near what they were last season. Palace tore Burnley apart for the entire game, and it probably should’ve been more than two. They were ahead when James McArthur’s cross drifted through everybody in the box and into the back of the net. Burnley failed to have a single shot on target during the game, to the disappointment of the travelling fans. Palace doubled their lead and secured their first home victory through Andros Townsend, which must certainly go down as one of the best goals so far this season. Only Fulham have conceded more goals than Burnley in the opening 14 games. This is a serious concern for the Clarets, who were renowned for their rock-solid back line last season. They drop to 19th, and take on high-flying Liverpool this week, where they’re unlikely to get anything. Palace will be delighted to take the win, giving them confidence to take on Brighton in the world’s most bizarre derby.

Southampton 2-2 Manchester United: Southampton blew a two-goal lead in what would be Mark Hughes’ final match in charge, as he becomes the first manager in Premier League history to be sacked by two clubs in less than a year. Stuart Armstrong gave the home side the lead, with his third goal in two games. Cedric Soares double the lead seven minutes later, getting the better of David de Gea with an impressive finish. However, the euphoria the home faithful were experiencing would be short-lived. Romelu Lukaku finally ended his goal drought, tucking the ball past McCarthy. Marcus Rashford’s dazzling run got United level, as he played Herrera into an ideal position. Rashford continued to battle throughout the second half and left the field on 75 minutes utterly exhausted. Southampton would surely have taken a point before this tie, but to squander such a lead is always painful. It doesn’t get easier for the Saints, who take on Spurs midweek. Jose Mourinho meanwhile has to prepare his side for the visit of Arsenal, in what is always a feisty encounter. The Saints remain in the bottom three, whilst United are 7th.

Chelsea 2-0 Fulham: Chelsea comfortably beat Fulham in Sunday’s west-London clash, with Pedro and Reuben Loftus-Cheek getting the goals. Pedro’s came inside four minutes, which was also Chelsea’s 1,000th Premier League goal at Stamford Bridge. Fulham had to defend well throughout the remainder of the first half to keep their hopes alive, with Oliver Giroud constantly knocking on the door with some great chances. Fulham gave a solid account of themselves during the second half. Substitute Aboubakar Kamara’s cross was almost put in the wrong net by Antonio Rudiger, and on-loan Calum Chambers had two good chances. However, Rueben Loftus-Cheek’s goal eight minutes from time wrapped the game up, keeping Chelsea in the top four. They travel to Wolves on Wednesday, whilst Fulham host Leicester.

Huddersfield Town 1-2 Brighton & Hove Albion: Huddersfield came into this fixture off the back of an excellent victory away to Wolves last Sunday, so were full of confidence. They couldn’t have started the game any better either, taking the lead inside one minute. An attempted clearance dropped the ball right into the Brighton area, which Mathias Jorgensen powerfully nodded in. Things wouldn’t get better for Huddersfield though, as Steve Mounie was sent off after thirty minutes, much to David Wagner’s fury. Brighton took advantage of the extra man and were level as the half-time whistle blew from a late Shane Duffy goal. The visitors were in front with twenty minutes to go. Florian Andone’s header in front of the away end teed up an exciting finale to the game, which Chris Hughton’s side defended excellently to take all three points. The refereeing has been a key talking point in the aftermath of Saturday’s game, with David Wagner claiming that this is why football isn’t any fun at the moment. Along with this, Huddersfield fans are now under investigation after supposedly making homophobic chants to Brighton supporters. The visitors climb to 11th, whilst the Terriers sit one point above the drop zone.

Leicester City 2-0 Watford: Watford had a dominant 62% of the possession in Saturday’s afternoon tie, but just couldn’t translate this into goals, recording no shots on target. The home side were in front just 12 minutes in, when Ben Foster smashed into Jamie Vardy. Leicester’s number 9 unsurprisingly took the chance, scoring his 13th penalty out of 15 attempts in the Premier League. Just ten minutes later, they doubled their lead thanks to a fantastic goal from James Maddison. Following a brilliant ball across the pitch, the youngster kept it off the ground as he dribbled through three Watford defenders, before placing it exquisitely in the bottom corner past Ben Foster. Maddison has certainly redeemed himself after being sent off at Brighton last weekend. A disappointing afternoon for Watford was rounded off in stoppage time, when Etienne Capoue was sent off after a poor challenge on Kelechi Iheanacho. Leicester climb to 8th with the win, overtaking Watford, who drop to 10th. The Hornets will hope to pull off a huge upset on Tuesday, when they host league leaders Manchester City. Leicester travel to Craven Cottage to face Fulham on Wednesday night.

Manchester City 3-1 AFC Bournemouth: Pep Guardiola and his Manchester City were probably not expecting this game to be as difficult as it was. Bournemouth gave a fantastic account of themselves and can take plenty of positives from it despite losing 3-1. City had the lead after a quarter of an hour, when Bernando Silva followed up Leroy Sane’s saved effort. However, Bournemouth stunned the home crowd with an equaliser on the stroke of half-time. Callum Wilson got his seventh goal of the season, heading home a cross from Simon Francis. Unfortunately for the Cherries, it wouldn’t be them to end Manchester City’s perfect home league record, as Guardiola’s men showed their class in the second-half. Raheem Sterling grabbed yet another goal, capitalising when Bournemouth failed to clear their lines. Ilkay Gundogan sealed all three points for the home side with just under 15 minutes to play, scoring from close-range. Manchester City maintain their unbeaten run this season, and overall it now dates back to April when they lost to rivals United. Eddie Howe’s side sit 9th on twenty points, a solid number at this point in the season.

Cardiff City 2-1 Wolverhampton Wanderers: Friday night’s tie in South Wales saw Cardiff climb out of the bottom three thanks to a brilliant second-half fightback. It was a perfect 70th birthday present for Neil Warnock. On his 200th Wolves appearance, Matt Doherty put them ahead inside twenty minutes. The visitors probably should have been further ahead when the half-time whistle came but were unable to take advantage of the many set piece chances they had. There was little to separate either side throughout the game, Cardiff just seemed to want it that little bit more. Aron Gunarsson got the home side level midway through the second half, before Junior Hoilett grabbed what would be the winner from 25 yards. The home fans were rightly delighted with the result, putting them two points clear of the bottom three. For Wolves, though, it was another disappointing 90 minutes. They’re now without a win since the start of October and are perhaps beginning to look downwards in the table. On Wednesday night, they face Chelsea at Molineux, where they’ll attempt to return to winning ways. Neil Warnock and Cardiff travel to the London Stadium to face West Ham on Tuesday.