Men’s Football 3s fight back to win on Derby Day

Battle of 22 Acres sees York 3s fight back to beat the 2s

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing sport, child and outdoor

Image: Luke Snell

Wednesday’s ‘One  to Watch’ game saw York’s 3s triumph over their bitter rivals (and training partners) York 2s 3-1. With three top-class strikes, torrential downpours and some huge tackles, it certainly lived up to the hype it was given prior to kick-off.
The 3s were well rested, having not played since Halloween, when they won away at St John 4’s. The 2s had just played their city rivals too, snatching a 1-0 derby-day win last Wednesday.

The game began as expected; the 2s having all of the early chances, using their speed to try and break through the 3s back line. It would, however, be a shot from distance that gave them the lead after 15 minutes. Charlie Yearwood’s strike from just outside the area looped into the top corner, catching the 3s keeper off guard. The 2s continued to dominate, and really should have grabbed another. They had several corners and an ideal one-on-one chance, but none of these could be converted.

Slowly but surely, the 3s were coming into the game, and they would be rewarded with their efforts as the first half dragged on. A scramble in the 2s goalmouth allowed Nathan de la Hoya to roll the ball into an empty net, putting them back on level-terms. The 2s were rattled by this, which the 3s took perfect advantage off. Just moments after putting the 3s level, Nathan de la Hoya grabbed another to put them in front. Picking up the ball just outside the area, he exquisitely placed it into the bottom right-hand corner, sending the 3s berserk in celebration. With seconds left in the first half, it should really have been three, but the ball was just edged round the side of the post by the 2s keeper.

The 2s half-time talk was surely a difficult one to make. They’d dominated most of the first-half, but a lapse in concentration in the latter stages had costed them dearly. With the vicious wind behind them in the second-half, they certainly still had a great chance of taking all three points. However, this belief would take a huge hit early into the second-half, when another fantastic strike put the 3s further ahead, now 3-1. The 2s battled on and on for the remainder of the half and deserve credit for not losing their heads in a fiery derby like this. Nonetheless, the 3s back-line was rock solid for the second 45, seemingly impossible for the 2s to crack. A scramble in the goalmouth in the dying moments nearly got the 2s a consolation goal, but it was somehow cleared away.

The derby certainly lived up to its expectations, and BT Sport will surely be regretting faffing around so much with the River Plate and Boca Juniors tie, when they could’ve had this gem. The Nouse man of the match goes to the 3s star-man Nathan de la Hoya. His first goal inspired a great fightback, and his second was surely worth of a 1s call-up.

The win sends the 3s into second position in the Northern 5B league, above the 2s but level on points. The 3s do however have a game in hand on their rivals, so will hope to capitalise on this and widen the gap. Next up for them is a tough away trip to Leeds Trinity 2s at the end of January, who are top of the league. This was the first game the 2s have lost at home since February 7th, when Teeside 2s snatched the three points. The York boys will hope to get back to winning ways when they travel to Sunderland at the end of January.

Attendance: 18