Super Saver Sausage and Bean Pot

shares a quick, easy and budget-friendly dish to keep you and your bank account full this Autumn

Taken from what was learnt through the Live Below the Line Challenge and, with the cost of food in mind, we have a budget friendly, but nutritionally balanced sausage and bean pot recipe for autumn nights. It’s a winter-warmer recipe: quick to prep and cook, with only three main ingredients, successfully making for a cheap and tasty meal. This recipe serves four and is freezer friendly, a perfect dish for a budget house meal, or one to freeze for those days when you’re in need of some comfort food. Based on an Asda shop, ingredients (excluding oil and salt and pepper) come to £3.65, that’s 91p a portion.

Prices are as follows: Loose Brown Onion – 15p, Parsely – 55p, Loose Garlic Bulb – 20p, Butcher’s Selection Sausages 8 pack – £1.45 , Kidney Beans in chilli sauce – £1.30 for 2

Ingredients:

– 1 tbsp olive oil (vegetable/sunflower oil are also fine)

– 1 large onion, thickly sliced

– 8 Cumberland sausages

– 1 large clove of garlic, crushed

– 2 x 400g cans of kidney beans in chilli sauce

– 2-3 sprigs of parsley, finely chopped

– Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan

2. Pop in the sausages and when lightly brown, add the onions

3. Turn onions and sausages over on a fairly high heat for 8-10 minutes until sausages are brown all over

4. Add the garlic and the cans of kidney beans

5. Half fill one of the empty kidney bean cans with water and swill it around, then add the water to the pan

6. Stir everything together and bring to the boil

7. Once boiling, turn the temperature down to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes (or until you are sure the sausages are cooked through)

8. Season to taste

Perfect served on its own, but if you want a more filling option, it is delicious with rice or mash potato on the side. This super saver sausage and bean pot will leave you and your bank account feeling full this month!