Little is likely to change after the US midterms

Despite their win, the Democrats in the House face an uphill battle against a system designed to benefit the elite

Image: Gage Skidmore

Recently the world waited in anticipation for the American mid-term results, expectations were running high.

Beyond being a foundation for both external and internal US policy, the mid-terms were considered, by many, almost as a referendum on the Trump administration. To my mind, however, the only stable out-come from these elections was not the results of who now is in office, but the clear demonstration that American politics is becoming increasingly polarised.

Throughout American history, there has been a strong sense of bi-partisanship in American politics because there was always the need for consensus to allow progress and stability within America and its political system.

However, since the Cold War, both American parties have fought one another to gain more power, authority and leadership from the other party; nowhere has this been clearer than during the 2018 mid-term results.

Across the world on 6 November there was a celebration within every centrist and left-leaning politically-minded person during the elections for its apparent results; on the surface it appeared that the referendum was in favour of dismantling the Trump administration and the concept of neo-liberalism affecting every topic of America. To my understanding, this was not the case.

Yes, Democrats won the House of Representatives by gaining (a slight) majority; this means that the American political system is no longer fully Republican, but those results do not matter.

The creation of the House of Representatives was specifically made by the founding fathers as a “doormat” for the American Political system. The House of Representatives was in truth created to be unequal to its counterpart, the Senate. According to the US constitution, there are only three requirements for you to be a Congressman: you must be over 25 years old, a US citizen for a minimum of seven years, and living in the state you are running for; if you meet those requirements , you are reward-ed with a mere two years as a Congressman, which instantly means you start the campaign process all over again, often also having to deal with pork-barrel politics and gerrymandering.

On the other hand, for the position of Senator, the founding fathers decided that you must be at least 30 years old, a citizen for nine years, as well as living in the state you are residing in. This is an important distinction, as during the creation of these positions through-out the 1700s, it was created by the rich elite within society, for the rich elite within society. In my opinion, this has not changed; even today the Senate control matters on issues such as approving international agreements, confirming senior appointments such as Judges and Cabinet members, and have the authority to impeach the President of the USA.

Consequently, there shouldn’t be excitement over the results of the 2018 mid-term as nothing has changed. Republicans hold the majority within the Senate and there-fore have more power over the legislative branch, as Senators can limit the authority of the House of Representatives. I believe that there is one final reason why America has truly become a polarised nation, and this is because of the results for the Gubernatorial (Governor) elections. 36 Governorships were up for election, with Republicans winning 19 of the 36 seats up for election and Democrats winning 16.Democrats have made strides in this area but there are still more Republican Governors than Democrats. America also continues to move towards state government over federal government. As a result, Governors, who are in fact the Head of State for the state they are elected for, are the executives and he only people below President Trump for matters involving their state. In the end it should be clearly under-stood that power does lie in the legislative and Executive branches of American politics, but overall control and dominance remains in the hands of the Republican party, not the Democrat party.

As we move forward, it is looking like there is zero inclination of bipartisanship from either party, showcasing what I consider to be true American polarisation.