Difficult afternoon for Women’s Basketball

Disappointing second quarter performance costs Basketball 1s a result against Manchester

A POOR SECOND quarter led York to a 43-65 defeat against Manchester in women’s basketball.

York’s women came into this tie having won two of their three games so far this season, beatinb both Sheffield’s 1s and 2s, but losing to a good Newcastle side. Last Wednesday’s encounter was with Manchester 1s, who arrived at the Sports Arena unbeaten so far in this campaign, with enormous wins. Their last fixture was a 108-14 demolition of York St John.

The opening quarter was a tight affair, with Manchester slightly edging it. It was a back-and-forth ten minutes, Manchester taking the lead and York almost instantly drawing level. The quarter ended with Manchester ahead by one point, but with York still in the game, only trailing 14-13. It was certainly not clear at this point that Manchester were the

Photo: Gus Fernandez

highest scorers by almost 100 goals in the Northern 2B League.

The second quarter was unfortunately where tie was lost for York. Manchester got the first points, but York drew level almost instantly. Some excellent attacking movement to cut open the visitors offered hope that perhaps York could pull off an impressive result. However, the away side then built up a small lead, putting the score at 17-23 halfway through the quarter. At the halfway point in tie, York trailed 21-31, with a huge effort required if they were going to get anything out of the match.

Unfortunately, the third quarter didn’t begin in the way York would have hoped. Manchester got several points on the board very quickly, maintaining their fast, attacking tempo that punished York in the previous ten minutes. With the period drawing to a close, Manchester had extended their lead to 20 points, with the score at 23-43. It was here that York began to show the sort of quality they displayed in the opening quarter, with an excellent three points shot from a difficult position. Following this, the home side had an impressive period of defending too, keeping several good Manchester moves under their control. This dominant period was short-lived though, and Manchester grabbed a few more points to put the score at 31-50 before the quarter came to a close.

The final quarter mirrored the first in several ways. York were absolutely not outplayed in this ten-minute period, which is definitely something they can take positives from. The players picked up several points in a short space of time, offering a glimmer of hope that perhaps a stunning comeback could be on the cards. However, the difference in the score was just that little bit too much.

As the match drew to a close, the York team provided some lovely passages of play, proving to those watching that their heads certainly hadn’t dropped. Captain Alice Smith rallied the team on, getting back a few points with a lovely run through the Manchester defence. The game soon ended, with Manchester taking the victory 43-65.

This was the most points York have conceded in a league match since their disappointing away defeat to Lancaster in February. However, it’s also the least points Manchester have been able to achieve since February too. Given this, the York team will definitely be able to take positives out of this, to spur them for the rest of the season. In the first and final quarters, there was barely anything separating either side.

Unfortunately, the second quarter proved the crucial period of the match, and some reflections from the team will hopefully ensure this is avoided further down the line. What’s most positive though, is that the team battled on right until the end, even when a victory was arguably out of sight. Nouse’s player of the match was Rosie Lagnado, who looked dangerous every time she had the ball.

The loss sees York drop a position to fifth place in the Northern 2B League. York now have three consecutive games until the end of term.