QUICKFIRE REVIEW: Exploding Kittens

shows us the hottest Kickstarter boardgame in our Quickfire Review!

Image: Jorge Sanz

Players: 2-5  Time: 10-15 mins  Final Score: 7/10

Exploding Kittens is a hilarious, Russian-roulette style, card game which is short enough to play several times in one go. Each player is dealt 5 starting cards then takes turns drawing cards from the deck. If you draw an Exploding Kitten you are killed (unless you play the coveted Defuse card), it’s important you make the best use of the cards in your hand to avoid this, which usually involves stitching up your mates. The game continues until all of the Exploding Kittens have been drawn. It’s easy to learn the rules and short gameplay makes it ideal for use in pubs, and can even be used as a drinking game (loser does a shot or winner chooses a forfeit). It raised over $8 million on Kickstarter and features cute comic drawings of cats, goats, enchaladas and watermelons. Exploding Kittens can be mixed with other games to accommodate more players. The expansion Imploding Kittens adds extra cards; adding to the unpredictable nature of the game. There even exists an NSFW version of the game which I gather includes ‘boob wizards’ if that’s your thing!