New plans for York’s first cat café

Plans have been submitted to the City of York Council for a new café with twelve permanent feline residents

Cat cafés have become popular destinations in many cities across the country [Image: Marco Verch]

Plans have been submitted to City of York Council for the opening of York’s first cat café. The plans are for the site of the former Baytree Interior shops at 46 Goodramgate in the town centre. The planned café is to consist of three floors with the ground and first floors for customer use and the second floor dedicated to a ‘rest room’ for the cats and food preparation.

The café will be home to twelve cats and twenty-two customers will be allowed in at any one time. It is due to be open from 10am to 7pm at weekends and 11am to 7pm on weekdays. Customers will be able to interact with the felines while they eat and drink. The café will serve tea, coffee, and cakes. The café is inspired by other similar businesses located across the country including in London, Leeds, and Newcastle.

The document submitted to the Council said of the plan: “The cat café will be the first of its kind in York and will contribute towards maintaining the existing level of diversity and cultural interest in the city.” The plans cite studies which have demonstrated the health benefits of interacting with animals. It has been shown that spending just fifteen minutes petting cats can reduce blood pressure.

If the City of York Council approves the plans, the new cat café will create one full-time job and three part-time jobs.