Volleyball Men’s 1s easily dismantle Sheffield Hallam

University of York
3
0
Sheffield Hallam

THE MEN’S 1s VOLLEYBALL team recorded a convincing win over Sheffield Hallam in the Sports Arena last Wednesday, in a comfortable 3-0 triumph.
Having never played the Hallam 2’s before, the York boys were not sure what to expect from this match. The visitors came to this fixture off the back of a defeat to Sunderland and a win against Durham. York were looking to get their season going after losing to bitter rivals Lancaster 3-2 in an agonisingly close game on the 10th October. Hopefully this won’t be the same when the teams meet again later this year in Roses.
The men began very well, comfortably racing into a 10-3 lead, with some fantastic serving from President Kristians Butins. Powerfully and perfectly placed, the Hallam returns were barely getting to the net. With York leading the first game 12-6, there was then a very lengthy delay to proceedings, as one of the Sheffield Hallam players suffered a nasty injury. Bizarrely, they had brought no substitutes with them to York, which meant they had to struggle on with a far from fit player. Almost immediately afterwards, a controversial decision went against the visitors, perhaps setting a precedent that it wouldn’t be their day. However, these two incidents seemed to really fire them up, and they pulled off some excellent shots to keep York on edge. It wouldn’t be enough though, and York took the first game 25-17.
Sheffield Hallam came out much better in the second game, gaining an early lead. York were not rattled by this whatsoever, and soon won two of their best points of the day. The visitors set themselves up for what looked to be an ideal spike, only for York’s frontmen to exquisitely block the shot. Hallam had assumed they’d finished the rally and taken the point, so it was even more satisfying for York to steal it. The home side then followed this up through a really love piece of play, finished off with a huge smash by Nico Muyimba. York’s number 14 was well aware of how good the shot was, and happily embraced the admiration of the rest of the team afterwards. Sheffield Hallam then lost several points in quick succession. There was some really quite poor serving, and a few total mix-ups which saw the ball simply drop over the net completely unchallenged. A decent crowd had now assembled on the middle Arena, with Durham’s badminton team taking quite an interest as they waited for their own fixture. Another few errors meant York ran away with the 2nd match, winning it 25-19. A huge comeback was now required if the York boys were to be defeated here.
Credit must rightly be given to Sheffield Hallam, who once again came out powerfully in the third match. With a fully-fit visiting team, this match would definitely have been closer. They took the opening few points, with a few mishaps that York will no doubt be frustrated with. However, York rallied back, and took a large quantity of the next points to take the game to 16-9. This seemed to finally knock the confidence out of the away team, whose heads really dropped. Very little was offered by York’s opponents from here on in. At 20-11, Sheffield Hallam made an attempted dig, which went the complete opposite way to where it should’ve. Unfortunately, this pretty much summed up the day’s events for them. York powered on home, taking the third and final game by 25 points to 11. This ensured a comfortable 3-0 win, and their opening victory of the season.
Regardless of whether Sheffield Hallam suffered an injury or not, the York team still played some fantastic volleyball. They worked brilliantly as a team, and really were thoroughly enjoying the game. With some excellent defensive saves, powerful serves and impressive blocks, it seemed all aspects of their game were on top-form in this fixture. Nico Muyimba was the man of the match, pulling off some shots which Sheffield Hallam simply didn’t get anywhere near.
York now sit 3rd in the Northern 2B league, 3 points behind Sunderland and rivals Lancaster. The team will want to build on this and will hope to pick up another three points away at Durham next week.