Winter Fashion: Embracing ‘That 70s Style’

MANGO PRESS HOUSE

With deadlines fast approaching, the summer’s heatwave a distant memory and student houses freezing across York, we all need a little extra comfort. This season, comfort comes in the form of nostalgia. A sepia-tinged 1970s aesthetic floods the high-street and the wardrobes of campus’s resident cool girls. The sequin bandeaus and neon cycling shorts sported this summer have been swapped for earthier toned turtlenecks and knitwear: this retro style is a definite winner for those of us feeling the northern clime. While 1970s fashions may not be revolutionary, the release of ‘Mamma Mia 2’ this summer has already reignited our love for the era and the cosier clothes of colder months have allowed brands to indulge fully in the richness of the decade.
A myriad of camel tones dominated the 2018/19 autumn-winter catwalks with Sies Marjan, Chloe, Fendi, Rochas and Dior all opting for bronze colour pallets and typical 70s cuts. On social media, Gucci’s Instagram feed has a distinctively mahogany hue with each post styled to showcase the shade. This season, Brown is the new Black.
It hasn’t taken long for these typical 70s colours to filter down into our favourite high-street shops. Mango’s new collaboration with Italian photographer, Mario Sorrentino embodies the 1970s. Their ‘imagine together’ collection features tan leather jackets, toffee-coloured chunky knits, brown corduroy and ginger turtlenecks. Spanish brand Zara’s new ‘Retro Aesthetics’ trend guide also spotlights 70s chic by combining quintessential colours of the decade with more modern cuts. The collection includes khaki button-downs, ochre plaid and chestnut pleated skirts. Even Urban Outfitters, a staple brand of the ‘Bristol/ Leeds girl’, has filled its stores with brick denim co-ords, paisley shirts and mustard cardigans. No longer reserved for dowdy librarians, brown is now the go-to colour for the fashion-forward. This autumn, the high street’s colour pallet has entered a time-warp.
This 1970s trend had already made its way into our wardrobes earlier in the year with flares, pleated skirts and co-ords all dominating look-books and fashion blogs. And It seems like these key cuts are here for the long-haul with major high street brands all refreshing their styles for autumn/winter. The flare-max trend that dominated Instagram and festival-fashion this summer has been revamped for the colder months with orange velvet and beige snakeskin fabrics on display around campus. The ‘clueless’ pleated skirt we loved, HUJI’d and Instagrammed this year has also been updated for fall; Topshop now sells the cult piece in mustard yellow and forest green. The humble co-ord is now made in corduroy and leopard print with many brands swapping out the classic denim skirt in favour of bell-bottomed trousers or flares. The 1970s has had an inescapable impact on the clothes we already know and love.
1970s influenced styles often re-emerge on both the catwalks and the high street for good reason. The warmth and richness of the colours and fabrics used combined with statement cuts and shapes encapsulate the decade’s charm and creativity. This season’s trends embody the laid-back vibe of the 70s: invest now and enjoy a warm and cosy winter.