Students and sabbs zorb on Campus Lake for RAG

STUDENTS AND SABBS will have a chance to zorb on the Campus East lake on Wednesday 31 October, with the event taking place as part of RAG Week. RAG Week is taking place in Week six from the 29 October to 4 November.

While it may not be advisable to swim in the Campus lake, some students will get the chance to experience the next best thing, with zorbing taking place on Campus East. Zorbing involves moving across a surface (in this case the Campus East lake) by rolling in an orb, which is generally made of transparent plastic. The event will take place from 10am to 5pm with students having a chance to purchase tickets from £10, or a cheaper Early Bird price of £7.

Zorbing is not the only RAG event taking place on Halloween day with Sponsored Dog Petting taking place in Vanbrugh Bowl in the afternoon. There is no set cost for the event, but it is suggested that students who meet the very good doggos make a donation.

YUSU Activities’ Officer, Finn Judge, expressed excitement for zorbing and the other upcoming events this RAG week: ‘“With zorbing on the lake and dogs in the Vanbrugh Bowl, I hope our  Vice-Chancellor realises what he’s walking away from on his last day at York.” RAG is a wing of YUSU dedicated to Raising and Giving for international, national and local charities. While events for RAG take place throughout the year, RAG Week is the most intensive week of fundraising activity. The charities being supported this RAG Week are Snappy (Special Needs Activities and Play Provision for York), World Child Cancer, and Action Against Hunger.

The week presents an opportunity for students to learn about the charities being supported as well as taking part in fundraising events. Activities Officer Judge says: “RAG Week is going to be huge and I can’t wait to see students learn about our beneficiaries, choose charity partners for their student groups, and raid with us on Saturday.”

Other highlights of RAG Week include: Enigma on Monday 30; an event which involves students boarding a coach to go to a mystery city (Sheffield) for a night-out; Musical Bingo in D-Bar on Tuesday night, and RAG Conference and the Fair in the Spring Lane Building.

Zorbing on Campus East lake will undoubtedly provide a memorable, enjoyable experience and spectacle for students. It is just one of a wide range of events taking place on Campus over RAG Week. The week not only provides an opportunity for students to take part in fun activities but also an opportunity for learning about the charities that RAG supports