Water leaks causes Campus West to close

Image: Zac Sheppard

A water leak on Campus West today has resulted in teaching staff being instructed to leave the site, and the closure of the Spring Lane Building and the Library. This has resulted in all teaching on Campus West after 12 noon being cancelled as there is major disruption to water supplies, particularly on the North side of the campus.

The University has instructed all teaching staff and non-resident students on Campus West to vacate the site, even if the buildings there are in still have a water supply. In an email sent to students from University Registrar Jo Horsburgh, those on Campus West were asked to vacate: ‘In order to preserve limited water supply on campus, we are asking all students who live on campus, and who due to attend classes, or other student activities on Campus West, to leave Campus West until further notice’.

The Major Incident Response Team (MIRT) have indicated that they will be bringing portaloos to Campus later this afternoon in order to facilitate students who live on Campus West and have been left without water supplies. They have also said they will be distributing bottled water through College Receptions to further help resident students. The catering facilities on Campus West are also closed, including the Roger Kirk Centre and Vanbrugh and Derwent dining halls. While the MIRT have said they will put action in place this evening to help students who normally are catered, it is unclear at this stage what will be done about this situation.

Signs of the leak were noted in a car-park near the Music Buildings on Campus West this morning. The car-park was flooded and was later drained by the Estates Team. This morning the Library had no water and no access to toilets, with staff on Twitter instructing Library users to use facilities in Derwent instead.

Teaching and facilities on Campus East are unaffected.