Societies and more

Discover the range of student activities on offer at York

Image: Greg Tiani

Societies

The range of societies on offer at York is wide, with over 200 to pick from ranging from music and performance to games and fandom. Some highlights include DramaSoc, one of the most active university Drama Societies in the country, put-ting on a weekend show and an open drama night (ODN) of original writing every w e e k of term time in the Drama Barn , their very own performance space, Fashion Society, who host everything from fashion shows to debates, and YogaSoc, who host four classes a week from beginners to the more experienced. Every political party is represented on campus, as is every major religion, with a host of course based societies also there to help improve employability and host course socials. There’re even a few specialist inter-est societies ranging from Douglas Adams Society (DougSoc) to Taylor Swift Society (SwitftSoc). Lots of societies host a range of socials, from your regular club nights out and bar crawls to pub quizzes, food nights, and even ranging to black tie winter balls. Not sure what society is for you? Why not head to a Give it a Go session?

Media

York can be described as the fleet street of student journalism due to the range of media groups; from Nouse, York’s oldest student society with the largest commit-tee on campus (producing three 48-page broadsheet-style editions a term), to University Radio York (URY) the oldest legal independent radio station in the UK, who broadcast 24 hours a day during term time, to York Student Television (YSTV), who produce short films, produce studio TV programmes, and film live events like Roses and the YUSU Elections. Also on offer is York Student Cinema, screening recent(ish) films three times a week, The Lemon Press, a satirical magazine, and York Vision, campus’ very own red top tabloid.

Volunteering

Volunteering in the community is a great way to enhance your skills and make a difference locally. Some YUSU volunteering projects include Theatre in Schools, who run drama-based workshops for primary school children, Teddy Bear Hospital, which helps children ages 5-7 feel comfort-able around healthcare professionals, and Sexpression, which provides reliable information about sex, relationships , and sexuality to empower young people. There’s also the two ‘nights’ which work to help students – Nightline, a confidential listening service for students here and at York St John, and Nightsafe, who patrol the city centre on club nights helping make sure vulnerable students are safe on a night out.

RAG

Raising and Giving (RAG) organises a range of fundraising activities to benefit YUSU’s partner charities, who are currently Action for Children and IDAS (Independent Domestic Abuse Services), with each college also having their own RAG partner charity. Every year RAG Week hosts a week of activities to raise funds, with other activities throughout the year including Jailbreak, running the Budapest Marathon, the Three Peaks Challenge and a bungee jump over the Ron Cooke Hub lake!