York attains TEF Gold ranking

The University of York has received the Gold Award in the Teach Excellence Framework (TEF). This comes alongside the news that the University has moved up to 12th in the UK in the Guardian’s University League Table. York maintains a high ranking for subjects like Chemistry and York in the newly released rankings.

TEF is a system that commends excellent teaching that takes place at whichever universities, colleges or higher education centres that choose to take part in the scheme. It was established by the government in 2016, with the first results being released a year later. The awards are decided based on the findings of a panel composed of academics, students and employer representatives. They also use data from the National Student Survey to determine student satisfaction, as well as information from the Higher Education Statistics Agency and employment outcomes.

The purpose of the TEF is to help prospective students in selecting a place to study, and is also beneficial for universities as they can use it to assess their level of achievement and teaching.

Awards are separated into categories of bronze, silver and gold. The bronze award means that the university or higher education faculty has provided “teaching, learning and outcomes” for students that meet the “national quality requirements for UK higher education”. A silver award means that high-quality teaching is delivered and that the national quality requirements are exceeded. The University of York enjoys the gold award, which means the university has “[delivered] consistently outstanding teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It is of the highest quality found in the UK”.

At the same time as the commendation being released, the Guardian’s University League Table has York up from 19th overall in the UK to 12th. The department of Chemistry holds a position of 3rd in the UK whilst Law maintains a strong position as 5th in the UK. In the 2018 table, Law was in 9th whilst Chemistry was in 2nd, showing the strength of the departments overall. Other subjects also saw improvement; the Department of English moved form 45th to 22nd overall, whilst Biosciences moved from 9th to 5th. However, not all departments have done as well as in the last ranking, with Film Production & Photography falling from 9th to 23rd.