UYAFC suffer opening ceremony collapse

Image: Luke Snell

ALL  THE  THRILLS  and  atmosphere  of  the  phenomenal  opening  ceremony  overawed  York’s  footballers  as  they  squandered  a  2-0  half-time  lead  to  lose  2-3  in  the  men’s  football  first  match  to  officially  unveil  Roses  2018.

When  that  third  Lancaster  goal  went  in  to  signal  home  crowd  ecstasy  in  the  90th minute,  there  was  an  element  of  amazement  yet  unsurprise  at  what  was  unravelling  in  front  of  our  eyes.  It  felt  like  it  was  just  meant  to  happen  –  even  when  York  were  two  goals  in  front  at  half-time.

After  being  serenaded  by  a  choir  singing  Queen,  the  match  began.  York  suffered  an  early  let  off  after  a  Lancaster  player  unsuccessfully  latched  onto  the  end  of  a pedestrian  back  pass.

General  sloppiness  characterised  much  of  the  opening  20  minutes,  with  simple  mistakes  by  both  sets  of  defenders  leading  to  chances  for  either  side.

Jordan  Grace  had  an  unexpected  test  when  a  Lancaster  cross-turned-shot  looked  to  be  going  in  at  the  near  post,  but  for  a  finger-tipped  save  onto  the  crossbar.  A  few  moments  later  a  volley  from  the  edge-of-the-area  took  a  nick  off  Ebai  Nsoatabe  on  its  path  into  the  side  netting.

The  only  real  chance  of  the  opening period landed  at  the  feet  of  Angus  Maney  who  gratefully  converted  a  loose  ball  from  close  range  in  the  28th  minute  to  send  the  travelling  contingent  into  a  chorus  of  celebration. York’s  lead  was  added  to  by  Dom  McCormick  15  minutes  later  after  he  flicked  a  re-directed  corner  into  the  centre  of  the  goal.

Grace  was  then  called  into  action  minutes  later  to  preserve  this  2-0  cushion  as  he  terrifically  clawed  away  a  strong  header  from  close-range.  It  was  yet  another  moment  in  which  Lancaster’s  clinicalness  was  absent.

Just  six  minutes  into  the  second  half  and  York  should  have  put  the  game  to  bed.  Maney  had  ghosted  into  the  box  unnoticed  yet  his  unchallenged  header  did  not  even  test  the  keeper.

From  there,  the  game  descended  into  a  lull,  but  this  admittedly  suited  York  with  their  two-goal  advantage.

Image: Luke Snell

A  large  dose  of  reinvigoration  was  provided  in  the  70th minute  when  the  home  side  pulled  a  goal  back  through  an  unconventional  header  to  give  the  expectant  home  crowd  a  chance  to  find  their  voices  again  and  provide  the  first  bookend  of  York’s  collapse.

Sensing  an  equaliser  and  willed  on  by  hundreds  of  on-looking  Lancastrians,  York  were  penned  into  their  own  half  and  looking  increasingly  nervous.

The  equaliser  came  in  the  82nd minute,  a  point  at  which  nothing  was  off  limits  as  a  semi-nude  Lancastrian  made  his  elation  known  by  invading  the  pitch  and  in  the  process  auditioning  for  athletics  as  he  hurdled  the  advertising  boards.

Lancaster’s  Mo  Touray  sent  all  in  red  into  a  frenzy  when  he  burst  through  Ellis  Thomas  and  Will  Rennie  –  given  man  of  the  match  five  minutes  prior  by  Nouse Sports  Editor  Chay  Quinn  –  to  guide  the  ball  past  an  onrushing  Grace.  He  shouldn’t  have  been  allowed  to  get  there  first.  The  York  defence  had  clocked  out.

This  defeat  was  reminiscent  of  last  year’s  Roses  meeting  when  a  10-man  Lancaster  stole  a  1-0  win  late  on  and  contributed  to  the  general  slide  in  performance  for  the  visitors  on  Friday  afternoon  which  left  York  several  points  behind  Lancaster.

Leave a comment

Please note our disclaimer relating to comments submitted. Please do not post pretending to be another person. Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.