Narrow loss for York Lacrosse 1s

YORK’S  MEN’S  lacrosse  team  took  to  the  grass  of  the  Lancaster  main  stadium  for  a  game  in  which  the  lead  to-and-froed  and  ultimately  ended  in  home  victory.

In  the  early  stages  of  the  first  quarter,  things  were  looking  good,  with  captain  Matthew  Vincent  scoring  to  claim  a  swift  lead  for  the  York  side.  Lancaster immediately  responded,  pegging  the  score  back  level  at  1-1.

A  huge  early  save  from  the  York  goalkeeper  kept  the  game  even.  Lancaster  capitalised  on  a  York  defensive  error,  scoring  a  second  and  seeing  out  the  quarter  leading  2-1.

The  start  of  the  second  quarter  saw  some  highly  patient  play  from  York,  holding  possession  and  waiting  for  a  chance  to  take  charge.  Matty Vincent  scored  his  second  goal  of  the  game  to  level  the  score  at  2-2.

Shortly  after,  Euan  Davidson  slammed  the  ball  into  the  Lancaster  net  and  York  reclaimed  their  slim  lead.  York  held  out  well  for  a  short  while,  until  a  contentious  decision  from  the  referee,  who  seemingly  ignored  the  line  official’s  flag  being  down  before  Lancaster  sent  the  ball  into  the  York  net,  giving  Lancaster  the  benefit  of  the  doubt  and  leaving  the  score  at  4-3.

Davidson  scored  shortly  after  the  half  time  break  to  make  this  encounter  4-4.  In  the  early  moments  of  the  third  quarter,  Euan  Davidson  scored  his  hat-trick  to  make  the  score  5-4  to  the  White  Rose.

York  continued  their  assault  on  the  Lancaster  defence  to  no  avail,  leaving  a  Lancaster  man  free  on  the  edge  of  the  area  to  score  another  equaliser,  which  was  shortly  followed  by  a  sixth  point.  The  third  quarter  ended  with  Lancaster  holding  a  fragile  6-5  lead.

The  final  quarter  saw  a  barrage  on  the  Lancaster  goal  from  York,  with  Lancaster  seeming  incapable  of  stemming  the  flow. However,  the  hosts  found  some  immense  resilience,  scoring  with  both  their  first  and  second  shots  of  the  last  quarter,  taking  what  proved  to  be  an  insurmountable  lead.

York  scored  a  consolation  which  excited  their  fans,  but  were  ultimately unable  to  clinch  the  win  they  deserved.

Leave a comment

Please note our disclaimer relating to comments submitted. Please do not post pretending to be another person. Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.