Nouse staff attacked outside Tang Hall takeaway

The Sgt. Pepper takeaway on Melrosegate, where the attack took place Image: Dan Powell

Nouse staff were the subject of an attack in Tang Hall during the late hours of 2 June. Police were called to Sgt. Pepper on Melrosegate at around midnight following the attack. The incident occurred when seven members of staff came into contact with a group of local young people who were already present on Melrosegate.

It is estimated that there were around 20 young people outside of Sgt. Pepper before the attack, many of whom participated.

During the incident several of the victims suffered head injuries. Two of those victims were taken to York Hospital by ambulance in the early hours of 3 June with possible concussions. They were later discharged, with one diagnosed with a possible broken rib.

“I just never thought that it would escalate that quickly” one student commented after the attack, “As soon as punches got thrown I ran straight into the takeaway shop, called the police and waited inside till it all calmed down. I thought for a moment to go outside and fight back, but there were just too many of them”. They added “I can’t say I feel incredibly safe walking home through Tang Hall now”.

Another student who suffered the attack said: “We were trying to walk away when someone came up behind me and punched me round the side of the head. After that it deteriorated very quickly, I tried to calm them down but they kept on hitting me, I tried to retreat down the road but got tripped and then there were several of them around me kicking me on the floor”. They added: “I don’t think any of us hit back at all, eventually we escaped up the road and called the police”.

A University spokesperson commented: “The safety and security of our students is of paramount importance. Anyone feeling vulnerable should remain vigilant, try to stay with friends and report any concerns to the local authorities. We would encourage students to raise concerns with University Security and seek support from campus support services if affected.”

The North Yorkshire police have confirmed that an investigation into the incident is currently ongoing.