York student housing – check your street for flooding

Check the extent of flooding in your street as Nouse brings you updates on flood levels in York’s student housing areas

*To see the most recent post first, click the double arrows below*

YUSU President Ben Leatham is photographing York’s student streets and neighbourhoods to gauge the extent of flooding in the area; we will be bringing you updates from Ben’s journey – check in to see how your street or area is affected.

1. Thanks for this :)

Report

2. Good job Ben!

Report

3. Cheers Ben

Report

4. Thanks Ben, your dedication is appreciated!

Report

5. Can you look at Milson Grove/Millfield Lane please? Supposedly at risk and getting worried!

Report

• Some gardens flooded in Millfield as the stream through the park is flooded, check with your landlord if you’re worried, milson not going to flood barring total disaster.

Report

6. Thanks for your effort Ben! Please could you check how far up Tang Hall Lane the water has come?

Report

7. Ben is a hero!

Report

8. Thanks tom! Fifth avenue tang hall please!

Report

9. Fourth av please!

Report

10. Thank you Ben! You are a star! This is such a relief!

Please could you check Tang Hall Lane near the Premier Shop too if possible?

Report

11. Any news about on campus accommodation? Hes East in particular?

Report

12. What a champion

Report

13. This is brilliant, thank you!! Is Hartoft street okay?

Report

14. brownlow street please! :)

Report

15. Please could you check along Foss Islands Road? Supposedly flooded but I’m not sure how close to the houses yet – ta!

Report

16. does anyone know what osbaldwick is looking like???

Report

17. any news on millfield lane the houses that back onto the beck

Report

18. Is the water as far as Lawrence Street? If so how close to uni/shell garage does it get from town?

Report

19. This is great Ben, thanks so much! Is there any chance you could check Abbotsford Road, near the Shell garage?

Report

20. Ben you are a babe

Report

21. thanks so much for this Ben! :)

Report

22. This is amazing, thank you so much Ben! Amazing president.

Report

23. Could someone tell what Heworth green is looking like?

Report

24. Constantine Avenue please! (Ben you are the best!)

Report

• Closed to traffic but not flooded, got the cycle track to drain onto. Might get cut off if water rises overnight

Report

25. Tang hall lane, near the co-op?

Report

26. Can you go and check bootham row?

Report

27. BigBen we love you <3

Report

28. Thanks so much Ben!

Report

29. Fantastic service from all involved! Thanks to both Ben and the whole team being this updates page

Report

30. This is amazing, thank you so much!

If anyone knows how Asquith Avenue off Tang Hall lane is getting on, that would be great.

Report

31. BEN is the GOAT SU prez

Report

32. Anyone know about Heron Court flats off James Street next to Alton Cars? Thanks

Report

33. Hi, is anybody able to tell me whether Thirlmere Drive off Burnholme Avenue is flooded? Thanks!

Report

34. 27 Dec ’15 at 6:05 pm

A worried mum

Ben you’re a star! But any chance you might check out Tang Hall Lane near the beck (house numbers high twenties/low thirties) tomorrow please? Stay safe x

Report

35. How is the Millennium bridge? I’m coming back soon and live on bishopthorpe road. I’ve seen the Bishopgate bridge is completely flooded and I’m worried I won’t be able to make it to campus for my exams if the weather doesn’t improve

Report

36. Anyone know what the bishy road/scarcroft road area is like?

Report

37. Please pass this information to the environment agency. The pictures, times and dates will be very useful in data collection.

Report

38. Thank you so much for the information, Ben! Do you know anything about Mcquades court? It is just off Navigation road and very end of Walmegate (not town end). The flat is just inside the wall and very close to the bar. I know that student castle is fine and so is Jenny’s fish and chips shop. So, I am hoping my flat is just fine.

Report

39. This is a fantastic service and would like to say a massive thank you for doing all this, I’ve looked through all the posts and just wanted to ask if anyone knows if Markham Crescent is flooding?

Report

40. Thank you so much Ben! You Hero!

Report

41. Ben, Guys, can anyone tell if Burnholme Grove is ok? Thanks!!!

Report

42. This is fantastic! Thank-you for this! :)

Report

43. Hi Ben, going over Lendal Bridge via Monksgate roundabout, should be we have any problems with the roads? many thanks

Report

44. I am amazed by this guy, Ben. A real hero who epitomises the British people in such difficult times. Keep safe Ben.

Report

45. 27 Dec ’15 at 9:44 pm

David Landon Cole

Really useful and thoughtful thing to do – thankyou, Ben!

Report

46. Thanks for this great service. Does anybody know anything about the early numbered houses ın Etty Avenue

Report

47. How’s Owston avenue at the top (Milfield Lane end) please?

Report

48. What’s Tuke Avenue like please! Just getting worried with the park and a beck behind the garden!

Report

49. Ben you are amazing, thank-you

Report

50. Is Bootham crescent okay?

Report

51. Thank Ben for taking your duties to this extent- can u check Temple Road please?
    Worried mum x

Report

52. Eighth Avenue please?

Report

53. Any bridges open to get from the train station to Wolsley street? thanks

Report

54. Rockingham Avenue?

Report

55. Thanks Ben! Any idea how farndale ave (off tranby in osbaldwick) is?

Report

56. Can you tell me what Alcuin Avenue is like please?

Report

57. Anyone knows how is Rawcliffe ? I’m away and worried about Reighton Av.

Report

• The Bungalows on Low Shipton Road have a lot of standing water by them but the rest of Rawcliffe is fine. Apparently river has now peaked so should be okay.

Report

58. 28 Dec ’15 at 4:16 am

Jan and Ken, Rosebud, Vic, Australia

Hi Ben, we are in Australia and our eldest son lives in Lawrence Street,hopefully he stays dry. Our youngest son lives near the Great Ocean Road in Victoria, bush fires. What a Christmas.

Report

59. My son is traveling back to York from Bradford today,he lives in burton stone lane he usually comes on the A64 and comes off at Askam Brian,are the roads ok round there

Report

• Burton Stone Lane isn’t flooded on the bingo side, believe the other side is also fine. River has gone down quite a lot also. Storm Frank was due to bring v. heavy rain today, at current we only have light rain.

Report

60. Anyone know if Scarcroft Road the mount end is ok? Got a ground floor flat there and we are worried :/ so sorry to all those affected, complete devastation in a beautiful city.

Report

61. Scarcroft should be fine. It is really only low lying roads near watercourses that are affected. Take a look at the Env Agency flood map…
    Good work, Ben!

Report

62. hello i live in Sheffield but my brother lives on eboracum way I have not spoken to him since 25th December.do you know if this road is flooded please im really worried.thank you x

Report

63. 28 Dec ’15 at 9:22 am

Julian McArdle

I booked a train journey for tomorrow( the 29th December) two weeks ago to travel from Scotland to York to visit the big Cycle Heaven store in the Fulford Rd area and have seen on the map that it looks very close to the river. Is it likely to be closed tomorrow with this flooding? Sorry to see such a disaster happen to York.

Report

64. I know York well from the 50s and 60s. I have relatives living on Tang Hall. This service must reassure lots of families who have students attending the Universities in York. Well done.

Report

65. Thank you!!!

Report

66. Best for Ben to go after the Ouse has peaked this afternoon

Report

67. thank you so much for all this info…my 90 year old father is in Archways on Belgrave Street….phones are down and i cannot get any info….but reading all these comments really helps…….I know this is not student related but just wanted to say thanks….

Report

• thanks for the emergency nhs number….managed to get through and all is well at Archways apart from phones down !!….again many many thanks for your hard work you are stars……….

Report

68. How is the groves doing?

Report

69. Does anyone know how Osbaldwick Village is doing?

Report

70. fantastic effort Ben.
    Credit to the SU.

Report

71. Smales street near fetter lane? Great job!

Report

72. 28 Dec ’15 at 1:51 pm

A worried mum

Thanks for the update ‘re: Tang Hall Lane. You’re doing a brilliant job keeping everyone informed on a very “fluid” situation (!!)
    #above&beyondthecallofduty

Report

73. Thanks Ben and thanks Nouse for your hard work! Are there any photos of Melbourne Street?

Report

74. Hello Ben,

I see that you are looking out for the flooded areas, could you please advise about Temple Avenue just off Tang Hall Lane? Thank you and thank you for the updates

Report

75. Sorry, the website loaded fully and have noted Temple Avenue okay . . . hopefully won’t have problems.
    Thank you for the updates

Report

76. Thank you so much for doing this!

Report

77. anyone know how the hungate lower flats are doing cordwainers court imparticular?
    this has been the most helpful website I have found posting areas of flooding great idea!!

Report

78. Does anyone know about Fulford Main Street? Down by the Bay Horse pub?

Report

79. Does anyone know if there is any flooding in Dodsworth avenue please?

Report

80. Thanks so much for this Ben!!

Report

81. well done for this information Ben. this is helpful and positive reporting. thank you. How is Walpole street fairing ?

Report

82. This is impressive! While BBC TV has been concentrating on the worst (and talking to people who haven’t been in York long enough to know previous floods), you’ve taken the trouble to show what is not affected and reassure people. You and Radio York come out of this very well indeed!

Report

83. What a great job – would be very useful if City of York Councillors posted this sort of detailed info for the residents of their own areas on the CYC website.

Report

84. Is there any flooding in Ratcliffe Street ?

Report

85. You’re fab Ben, thank you

Report

86. Were the lower flats on Beckside gardens just off melrosegate flooded? There were severe danger to life warning on the 28th!

Thanks for your effort, such a fantastic idea!

Report

87. good effort Ben! very thorough, must have taken a lot of work

Report

88. Brilliant man

Report

89. cheers, massive lifesaver

Report