Varsity countdown begins

This week, College Sport have announced the key Durham details

10945014 10153020231074583 5303415882833953154 n

York Sport College Varsity will return this year after a successful inaugural tournament. The event will see the Black and Gold travel to Durham on Sunday 1st March with the fixtures being played at Maiden Castle Sports Centre.

Tickets for the event will be available in due course, and will comprise of coach travel to and from Durham. College Varsity t-shirts will also be available.

The qualification process appears to be on the lips of all those who compete in college sport and the newly released information will spark excitement among many as they ready themselves to take on their college counterparts. Qualifiers Weekend, taking place on the Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th  February, will involve a semi-final to decide which to teams which sport will compete in the tournament, while the final will ensure the teams are seeded into ‘firsts’ and ‘seconds’. Rugby will have a week between their semi-finals and final to allow for recovery.

Sports who did not have a league last term will have their play-off participants decided by the one-day tournaments run last term. All others will have a one-day tournament run in conjunction with Qualifier’s Weekend, such as women’s 7-a-side touch rugby.

While the semi-finals will ultimately prove to be the most decisive, the finals are of equal importance given that the first teams score more points than the seconds. Last year’s tournament saw York narrowly defeated 27-37 despite winning six consecutive in the afternoon period.

Despite the loss, College Sport Officers Dave Washington and Melissa Turner was positive about last year’s event, commenting, “Last year’s event was a brilliant success and we have successfully pushed for new sports to be added this year allowing more students to engage in College Varsity than ever before.”

Melissa and Dave are keen for as many people to be involved with Varsity as possible, be it playing or spectating. “There has already been a lot of excitement about this year’s event, and we would strongly encourage anyone to come along and get involved in Qualifiers and College Varsity, even if it is only as a spectator.”

York exceeded expectations last year given the relative standings of the two universities in the BUCs leagues. Despite this, Dave and Melissa are hoping that the lessons learnt from last year’s event will see York claim their maiden victory. “Last year we narrowly lost out to Durham, but hopefully the improvements we have made over the past twelve months will allow us to claim victory this year.”

The success of last year’s event has seen the introduction of college lacrosse this term, an exciting new venture epitomising the rise in popularity of college sport. The new College Sport Development Fund will provide financial support to the Varsity tournament, while colleges will also benefit from the fund as they are encouraged to draw up innovative sport propositions.

York Sport President Cass Brown was also positive about the confirmation of this year’s Varsity, adding, “I’m thrilled that College Varsity is going ahead for a second year. Last year was a huge success in York and I’m sure Durham will pull out all the stops to make this year’s just as fantastic.”

Nouse is the first place for all of your College Varsity news, including full coverage of Qualifiers Weekend and the tournament itself on 1st March. Stay tuned via our website, as well as our Nouse Sport Twitter and Instagram pages.