Qualifiers Weekend revealed

Qualifiers Weekend, which will determine the college teams to compete in College Varsity against Durham, will take place on Saturday 7th and Sunday 8th February

Image: Petroc Taylor

Image: Petroc Taylor

The qualification process for College Varsity appears to be on the lips of all those who compete in college sport and the details of Qualifiers Weekend, newly revealed at 5pm today, will spark excitement among many as they ready themselves to take on their college counterparts.

10372530 813548882052205 4608366512986668653 n The semi-finals on Saturday will decide whether teams qualify or not, and finals on Sunday will seed winners and losers as ‘York Firsts’ or ‘York Seconds’ respectively in each of the twelve sports. A full schedule for the weekend is shown here (left).

The ties in lacrosse and women’s football- that do not have a regular league- were devised from the results of one-day tournaments before Christmas. Halifax College won the lacrosse tournament, while James College triumphed in women’s football.

Alongside lacrosse, darts and squash, women’s seven-a-side touch rugby is one of four newly inducted sports at this, the second year of Varsity. The qualifiers in women’s rugby will be determined by a one-day tournament on 7th February on 22 Acres.

10945014 10153020231074583 5303415882833953154 n

The darts competition on Sunday evening has the potential to be an entertaining conclusion to proceedings, with organisers hoping for a bumper turnout- as all other sports have concluded- and a raucous atmosphere to boot.

College Sport officers Dave Washington and Melissa Turner commented, upon the release of the schedule: “We have a thrilling weekend of Qualifiers in store and I’m sure there will be some brilliant contests.

We’d urge as many people to go down as possible and support their college in what are most likely their biggest matches of the year.

Particularly look out for the darts, which we have planned as a big event at the end of the weekend. We’d love to see as many people at the Roger Kick Centre as possible to finish the weekend with a bang.”

Nouse is the first place for all of your College Varsity news, including full coverage of Qualifiers Weekend and the tournament itself on 1st March. Stay tuned via the dedicated Varsity section of our website, as well as our Nouse Sport Twitter and Instagram pages.