York TheatreGoers help raise funds for redevelopment of local theatre

If the society reaches their fundraising target, they will have a seat named after it

York TheatreGoers have announced plans to help York Theatre Royal fund its £4.1mn Redevelopment Project.

Image: ahisgett

Image: ahisgett

The York TheatreGoers society, which regularly holds subsidised trips to see a range of shows at the Theatre, aims to raise money by holding a series of events, including a doughnut sale and a competition to guess how many sweets are in a jar.

It will also be holding a quiz night in conjunction with Central Hall Musical Society following the success of a similar event in The Courtyard last term.

The winners are the quiz will win free tickets to see The Railway Children later this year.

Elizabeth Akita, Chair of York TheatreGoers, said: “I’m very excited that our society is part of a community initiative to support the York Theatre Royal.

“Many of the trips that TheatreGoers have organised over the years have been to shows performed there and so it would only make sense to try and give back through fundraising for them.”

She added: “The Theatre has such a great history and plays are such an important part in York’s culture that we really hope that the fundraising is a success and the development plans are able to go ahead.”

If York TheatreGoers manage to reach their target of £300, the society’s name will be inscribed on a seat in the newly refurbished auditorium under York Theatre Royal’s ‘Name A Seat’ initiative.

The scheme also rewards donations of £1,000 with two named seats and four tickets for the price of two for 10 years on York Theatre Royal productions. Princess Beatrice recently had a seat named after her after visiting the theatre last month.

The Theatre will close in March for eight months to allow for refurbishments, including the expansion of the foyer and cafe areas, a new modular stage and alterations to seats in the auditorium.

Facilities to make the Theatre more accessible, such as a new lift to the Dress Circle, will also be built.

Last year York Theatre Royal was awarded £2.85mn from Arts Council England for the redevelopment. It has also received contributions from organisations including City of York Council.

The Theatre has approximately £500,000 left to raise of the £4.1mn needed for the redevelopments to go ahead and and will soon be sold to York Conservation Trust for £1.

Clemency Horsell, Fundraising Fellow for York Theatre Royal, told Nouse: “We are delighted that York TheatreGoers have chosen to help fund-raise towards our capital redevelopment.

“They are an outstanding group of talented young people.”

She went onto say: “York Theatre Royal believes in the power of people to help shape its future and their generosity will help us create a theatre that the city of York can be proud of.”