York Live Music Calendar: January

Some crucial dates for the gig diary

If your new year’s resolution is to make it to more gigs, concerts and DJ sets, then look no further. Below is Nouse’s comprehensive round-up of the best live music events on offer in York in the coming month. Whether you’re after a low-key acoustic night in Fibbers or a night you won’t remember in Mansion, our best picks for the next few weeks will keep you up to date with all the most exciting live local goings on.

Tuesday 13th: Animaux presents ‘Palace’ @ Mansion

animaux 2

Since starting up two years ago, Animaux at Mansion has fast become one of the most popular regular club nights in York. Boasting ‘visuals which are hand-picked in order to enhance the experience’, it’ll be Essex-based producer and DJ Palace benefiting from those oh so carefully selected light ensembles this Tuesday; prepare yourselves for ‘raw, gritty & energetic minimal productions with a classic slippery ’98-era shuffle’. If last month’s Troy Gunner set is anything to go by, Mansion-goers are in for another night of top notch techno.

Tuesday 13th: Dawn Landes @ Fibbers

dawn

The American singer-songwriter is bringing her ‘Bluebird’ album tour to Fibbers this Tuesday, with support from art pop troubadours Walk Vesper. For fans of acoustic folk with a kick, Landes’ music will offer a sublime night of stripped back energy and dynamism to what is sure to be a sold out venue.

Friday 16th: Bangers & Mash presents ‘Dark Sky’ @ Fibbers

dark sky

‘Dark Sky are one of the most exciting electronic acts in the UK at the moment, having made a huge impact with their recently released debut album Imagin and an extensive back catalogue of 12” releases. Dark Sky are on an upward trajectory’.

A set definitely not to be missed, Dark Sky have played across Europe throughout 2014 to packed out crowds. Perhaps best known for their stellar remixes of The xx and Bombay Bicycle Club, the London-based trio are set to set Fibbers alight this coming Friday.

Monday 19th: Itchy Feet goes to Hollywood @ The Duchess

itchy feetThe wildly popular Itchy Feet is back for another night of top quality music and great atmosphere. This month it’s 50s Hollywood that Duchess-goers will be channelling – ‘Think big hats and cigarette holders like Audrey Hepburn, signature white frocks like Marilyn Monroe, tight shirts and smouldering stares like James Dean, with the notorious pelvic thrusts of Elvis Presley’. Take a night off club music and have a night out to remember on the 19th at Duchess.

Wednesday 28th: The Weeks @ The Duchess

the weeks

‘Born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi, The Weeks came together in 2006 and instantly came to define the sound of Southern Rock in the 21st Century – their grunge-powered, high-octane anthems rich with a bottomless Delta soul far deeper than the boys’ teenage years would suggest’.

The Weeks’ UK tour follows on from an intensive few months touring their latest LP, playing over 170 shows in 6 different countries. They’ll be gracing Duchess with their own brand of Americana rock n’ roll in a few weeks; their Kings of Leon-esque charm will be well worth your time and money.

Saturday 31st: Charlie Simpson @ Fibbers

charlie simpson

The man who turned down McBusted has sold out Fibbers. Who’s laughing now, eh? Bringing his singer-songwriterly charm to York at the end of the month, Charlie will be showcasing music from his latest album ‘Long Road Home’, the follow up to his surprisingly successful 2011 debut ‘Young Pilgrim’. Expect plenty of love songs and acoustic guitars.