York Firsts cruise to victory

York Netball Firsts thrash Newcastle to earn their first league win of the season

University of York Firsts
Newcastle University Thirds

BUCS Northern 3B

York breezed passed Newcastle Thirds today to earn themselves their first league victory of the season.

York were quick to impose themselves upon the game and were soon leading the way thanks to goal attack Grace Clark. Soon York were utilising their passing game to a devastating effect with Rachel Turner and captain Hollie Dixson lighting up the pitch. The fluidity of their dazzling approach play was frightening thanks to clever off the ball movement and incisive passing in the final third. While Turner and Dixson ensured York enjoyed the majority of the possession, if was left to the attacking duo of Grace Baker and Grace Clark to convert their dominance into points on the scoreboard.

Both players executed this to perfection and had racked up seven points before Newcastle finally registered a goal of their own. This was a testament to the defensive trio of Emma Loft, Chloe Cannon and Mayawa Ogunremi who persistently broke up the opposition’s attacking play, allowing York to spring on the counter time and time again. It was therefore no surprise when the first quarter finished 16-7, such was York’s dominance.

The second began in a similar vain with goal shooter Grace Barker proving troublesome for the oppositions defence. The formidable partnership of Barker and Clark was causing all sorts of issues as the score continued to increase in York’s favour. Newcastle, meanwhile, had found a degree of composure in attack and the mistakes that had cost them in the first quarter were now few and far between. As the match reached the half way stage, Newcastle suffered a significant blow when their goal keeper sustained an injury and was unable to continue. Without any substitutes to call upon, Newcastle were forced to see out the remainder of the game with only six players. The whistle signalled the end of the second quarter soon after, with York mounting a seemingly unassailable lead of thirty one points to twelve.

York may have been forgiven at this stage for easing off, such was their advantage, yet it was clear this was not the case as they sought to maintain their high standards. Dixson and Turner’s seamless understanding was demonstrated through their quick interchanges which allowed them to exploit the new found space. Newcastle, to their credit, did not wilt under the increased pressure despite their numerical disadvantage but failed to cause York any serious problems. The Black and Gold were able to extend their lead to 51-19 as the teams entered the final quarter.

The final stages saw Alex Kilbride replace Ogunremi at wing defence and, while York remained potent in attack, their defensive qualities were equally impressive. This was illustrated through their dogged determination to regain possession, maintaining their high level of performance throughout. Meanwhile, Baker and Clark were imperious in the penalty area, providing the spectators with an impressive show of clinical finishing. The final whistle drew matters to a close as York enjoyed a formidable 70-22 victory. Following last weeks cup victory, York will hope that todays win will be the catalyst for BUCS League success this season.

After the game, York’s captain Hollie Dixson spoke to Nouse saying, “I am so proud of every single one of our players, they played outstandingly from start to finish and I think the score shows how well we played today”

York: Loft, Cannon, Ogunremi, Dixson, Turner, Clark, Baker.

Substitute: Kilbride

Player of the Match: Hollie Dixson


  1. not even any good

    Reply Report

    • I love my old dial phone and still use it when I can. I had to get a ‘normal’ phone too though after an arnsotomical mobile bill – The old dials don’t register on the telstra menu selection, so I made the call from my mobile and being telstra I was on hold for 45 minutes.On emergency drivers getting the right directions – There was a house fire near us in Palm street not long ago.. It took the fire fighters nearly half an hour to respond because they went to Palm street in the town next door first. Opps?

      Reply Report

Leave a comment

Please note our disclaimer relating to comments submitted. Please do not post pretending to be another person. Nouse is not responsible for user-submitted content.