Five out of five motions passed in referendum

YUSU’s current referendum has seen its five motions passed with a ‘Yes’ vote, although one was met with technical difficulties

Earlier this week there were fears that nothing would be passed because as little as 5% of the student body had cast their vote. This then improved to a total of 1,252 students, counting for around 7.5% of the student population, meaning that the motions could be put in place.

The new motions will see a new student letting agency as well as a new democratic system. In addition to this, the role of Campaign’s Officer will be removed. The latter was the closest in terms of votes with 362 students voting against the motion and 228 abstaining completely. Overall the position was still abolished following Kallum Taylor’s proposal to remove it receiving 515 votes.

The new student letting agency was passed with 1,086 individuals voting in favour and only 117 against. Once the feasibility study is complete this should be put in place. Voting for the new democratic system, although not reaching the required 20% needed to achieve full democratic reform, still received 871 people voting in favour. This means that although there will now not be a complete removal of the assemblies there will be democratic change.

The YUSU Welfare Officer has also been renamed Welfare and Community Officer with 764 for and 191 against.

The last motion, asking whether YUSU should form a College Student Association, fell under technical error as it was not clear how many students from each college voted in favour. Although 749 students overall said yes to the motion, a College Referenda will need to take place to establish which colleges are for the Association, allowing colleges to have more of a say on their own representation. JCRs can choose to opt into the College Student Associations and work with their College Council, allow college members to vote directly, or not opt in at all.

All new bye-laws should be confirmed within three working days when they will be put on the YUSU website.

1. 25 Oct ’13 at 12:09 pm

Smells like despotism

The turnout makes the PCC elections look popular! Nice to see YUSU have a neat way around the 20% threshold

2. 29 Oct ’13 at 11:27 am

Donald Donaldson

You’re the Editor. Learn to write.