Two nominations for York in THE awards

The University of York has received two nominations in the Times Higher Education Awards

Photo Credit: Petroc Taylor

Photo Credit: Petroc Taylor

The University of York has received two nominations at the Times Higher Education Awards.

York was nominated for Excellence and Innovation in the Arts and International Collaboration of the Year.

In the first category York is up against the University of East Anglia, The Open University, University of Reading, University College London and York St John University. The award aims to ‘recognise the pioneering work that is taking place in universities to promote the arts.’

For International Collaboration of the Year, York is again up against St John as well as the University of Derby, University of Kent, Newcastle University, and Norwich University of the Arts.

This award aims to recognise exceptional projects carried out jointly between a UK institution and one or more international partners.

York St John University was also nominated for University of the year, alongside five other Universities.

The awards are now in their ninth year and across 18 categories aim to host ‘a wealth of strong contenders displaying the talent and imagination that make UK higher education the best in the world.’

Last year York won the award for Outstanding Support for Early Career Researchers while the institution was named as University of the Year in 2010.

YUSU President Kallum Taylor said:”It’s always great to see the University’s achievements recognised alongside other institutions in the UK. The International Collaboration shortlisting should speak volumes too for our international students. However, still, we could do much, much more for internationalisation by strengthening and investing in the International Support Office, and also enabling YUSU to greater support the ISA with integration on the ground. Still, we shouldn’t miss any chance to celebrate success!”

A University spokesperson said: “It is great news that the York Festival of Ideas and the seminal literary history of South Africa compiled by Professor David Attwell and Professor Derek Attridge have been shortlisted for THE awards. These two projects illustrate both the University’s commitment to enrich the social and cultural life of our home city and our influential international role.”