Royal College of Midwives backs maintenance loan campaign

The Royal College of Midwives has decided to back the campaign for a a fourth maintenance loan for students, started by YUSU earlier this year

The campaign aims to help medical, midwifery and nursing students cope with financial problems. Photo Credit: CARLOS62

The motion aims to help medical. midwifery and nursing students cope with financial problems. Photo Credit: CARLOS62

The Royal College of Midwives has decided to back the campaign for a a fourth maintenance loan for Health Sciences students. The proposal which was put forward by YUSU earlier this year, is to become one of the group’s official campaigns.

In April, Nouse reported how the motion to campaign for a fourth maintenance loan for medical, midwifery, and nursing students put forward by YUSU President, Kallum Taylor was passed at the NUS conference.

The motion meant that the NUS would work to achieve four loan payments for students who need support over summer studies and work. Now the campaign looks stronger with the Royal College of Midwives backing the idea.

This could potentially affect the availability of funding including maintenance loans for Medical, Midwifery and Nursing students.

Taylor commented on the news that the Royal College of Midwives were backing his campaign: “We knew that there was some interest a while back, and so we’re delighted that Hannah Abel (a York student who acts as a national student rep for the RCM) has helps push this one through. The RCM can help get the word out with this so much more than just YUSU or the NUS. Their influence will get professionals across the country to join the fight.”

He added: “It’s a real nail-on-the-head campaign that’s based solely on a need felt by over 90,000 health sciences students across the country.

“Over this summer we’ll be gathering more and more individual SU’s on board and piling up the pressure on policy makers. The hard work’s yet to come.”

The news comes as there are further concerns for Higher Education Funding, with a huge cut to the Student Scholarship Programme and confirmation that the Students Loans Company is to be privatised.

Earlier in the year Taylor had put forward the case for increased funding arguing that “much more needs to be done for those students whose academic and course-work placements run right through the summer holiday period.”

He said commitments and very long hours made it difficult for those students to find a job and to earn money during the holidays in order to afford the living, travel and hidden course costs they have to pay.

Taylor had also used this campaign to highlight that YUSU were there for all students no matter where their funding came from: “Just because their course commitments are different, and the funding comes from the NHS, doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t fight their corner.”

1. 26 Jul ’13 at 11:45 pm

Romatho Simfukwe

Am a NURSE AND MIDWIFERY student; on august 2013 am going to graduate in level of certificate but i would like to continue with the highest level but i dont have someone to boost me in case of fees, please help me thanks