Indoor football firsts take early York points

Last gasp goals from Conor Brennan and Jack Crane gave York their first victory of Friday, winning a thrilling encounter 4-2

Photo: Peter Iveson

Photo: Peter Iveson

YORK MEN’S FIRSTS 4
LANCASTER MEN’S FIRSTS 2

YORK WOMEN’S FIRSTS 1
LANCASTER WOMEN’S FIRSTS 2

YORK MEN’S SECONDS 1
LANCASTER MEN’S SECONDS 6

YORK WOMEN’S SECONDS 0
LANCASTER WOMEN’S SECONDS 3

YORK MEN’S THIRDS 1
LANCASTER MEN’S THIRDS 5

Two goals from Conor Brennan helped the men’s firsts indoor football secure York’s first points of the day with a 4-2 victory in a hotly contested clash. Having stepped straight off the bus and on to the pitch, Brennan and Ash Daly had given York a 2-0 lead before the home side, roared on by a vociferous support, levelled the scores with little more than five minutes remaining. However, Brennan’s second and a strike from captain Jack Crane with the last kick of the match saw York claim a win that had looked to be slipping through their grasp. Crane described the performance as ‘workmanlike’ and bemoaned his side’s complacency but, under the circumstances, must have been delighted with the result.

The earlier fixtures were a struggle for York. Severely lacking in numbers, the same side was forced to play in both the men’s seconds and thirds encounters, both of which resulted in comfortable Lancaster wins. In the women’s matches the seconds were also well beaten, but the firsts can count themselves unlucky not to have earned at least a draw. Having conceded two early goals they piled the pressure on the Lancastrians, Katie Ballantyne converting a penalty, but ultimately fell to a 2-1 defeat.

1. This article is intelligent. I can think of no better word to describe it. I stand in agreement with many points mentioned in this article. That’s likely because this writer seems to think like me.

Report