Wednesday Round-up: 14 October

It was a successful afternoon for York, as university sport returned from the summer break

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

The new academic year might only be a few days old, and the thought of doing anything more active than a bar crawl yet to cross your mind, but university sport has returned from its summer break. It was a somewhat low key start – only three games were played – yet York won a clean sweep of the day’s fixtures despite some of the teams having barely had a chance to practice together this term.

Last year the men’s hockey firsts went all year without tasting victory in BUCS Northern 2B, only surviving relegation due to reorganisation of the league. Today they ended this run with a 2-0 victory over Durham fourths. Two goals from the exceptional Rob Newton and some excellent Fresher debuts were the highlights of an impressive performance that stands as a good omen for the season ahead.

Hockey 1st v Durham 4th, 14/10/2009, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

The men’s lacrosse firsts also started their campaign positively with a 14-3 win over the University of Hull. With their new coach, experienced American Jim Lenke, it could be a successful year for the team and this result was the perfect start in a difficult division. Outstanding performances came from James Menon, Krishna Balan and Luke Shilling.

Lacrosse v Hull, 14/10/2009, Photo: Justyn Hardcastle

York men’s rugby firsts, newly promoted to Northern Conference 1A after last year’s unbeaten season, also made an excellent start, winning 13-6 away at the University of Liverpool.

Match reports to follow

All photos: Justyn Hardcastle