Women’s volleyball team edge Bradford in thriller

Victory for York in a gripping game against Bradford gave the women’s volleyball team a much needed morale boost after two defeats in the BUCS League so far this season…

UNIVERSITY OF YORK FIRSTS 3 vs. UNIVERSITY OF BRADFORD FIRSTS 2
BUCS Northern Conference 2B, Wednesday 26th November 2008

Victory for York in a gripping game against Bradford gave the women’s volleyball team a much needed morale boost after two defeats in the BUCS League so far this season.

After losing the first set 20-26, it was clear the psyche of the team needed to improve. “After losing to Bradford last time [3-0 in the season’s opening match] we wanted to make sure it didn’t happen again,” said one determined team member. The pressure facing the York team was undoubtedly high, yet after some constructive words from the coach, they narrowly won the second set 25-21.

The Bradford girls at this point appeared the more solid team, applying their skills and knowledge of the game with force. It became clear that York needed to utilize their hard training sessions spent together and work as a team when the pressure was on.

The girls appear to still be working on their skills and strategy, and need to use it as a lethal combination with their steely focus during a game. The determination of the team had grown by the third set. With passion and precision York delivered some great shots and were victorious by 25 -7, showing what huge potential the York girls have.

There are a number of talented players in the team this year: especially setter Maiko Uesaki, who delivered some crushing hits, yet the fourth set was stolen 27-25 by Bradford due to the hosts missing some serves and giving the ball away unnecessarily.

York then found themselves equal 2-2 due to silly mistakes and one frustrated player muttered to herself “we always do this!” Yet the team went into the fifth game with pure drive and, displaying little weakness, their resolve saw them home.

Captain and setter Lisa Breitschuh did a great job encouraging the team, delivering some powerful close shots and, in the end, York cruised to victory to make it 3-2. The team were definitely happy after the effort that each player had put in to create such a nail-biting game, but it was their collective mentality that proved the difference.

1. nice article!

Report