New YUSU Officers Elected

This week’s Autumn Term YUSU Election has seen thirty-three new officers elected to thirty-nine positions, including the University Senate, Union Council and YUSU Trustee Board.

The three undergraduate representatives elected this year to the University Senate are Sam Clarke, Tom Langrish and Jason Rose, while joining the Union Council after this weeks’ elections are Lewis Bretts, Jim Clark and Alexander Fink.

The University Senate is responsible for the education and academic lives of York students, particularly in advising the Council on all academic appointments. The YUSU President and Graduate Students Presidents both hold seats on the Senate, along with three undergraduate representatives and one graduate representative. Union Council is the main policy making body within the Union. Its membership consists of the Chair of the Council, all Officers of the Union, the Chairperson of each affiliate committee, three Board of Studies representatives and three ordinary members.

The new YUSU Disabilities Officer will be Patrick Sholl. This position has been unfilled since former Officer Katie Player ended her term in April 2008.

Rose also joins the YUSU Trustee Board, along with A Kotecha and Zoe Stones. Trustee Board members hold their position for two years from the date of election and are responsible for overseeing the administration and management of the Union.

Rose, who was also elected to the YUSU Campaigns Committee, Communications Committee, Environment and Ethics Committee and Rules and Revisions Committee, said of the election: “Thanks to everyone that voted. I really do appreciate people getting involved in university politics.”

The following positions were also filled:

Within YUSU Committees:
Entertainments Committee: Lewis Bretts, Robin Kinchin, Elisabeth Spencer and Elisabeth Woolard
Environment and Ethics Committee: Kate Evans, Ella-Grace Curton and Jason Rose

Within LGBT:
Ordinary Members: Edward Crooks and Rebecca Milner
Bisexual Man Rep: Tim Jeffries
Bisexual Woman Rep: Kate Walker
Gay Man Rep: Thomas Meares
Lesbian Rep: Joanne Campbell
Secretary: Thomas Harding
Trans Affairs Rep: Em Brownbill

Within the Womans’ Committee
Ordinary Members: Hannah Cann, Estie Haden, Ellie Kuper Thomas,
Charlotte Phillips and Holly Phillips
Lesbian and Bisexual Rep: Amy Burge
Mature Women’s Rep: Jenny Hambling
Press and Publicity Rep: Charlie Frost & Eleri Parry
Secretary: Katherine Byrne & Mary Finnegan

1. Yet more over-representation for a true minority of students. When are we going to have a WASP representative for YUSU?

Report

2. 17 Nov ’08 at 2:13 am

Robert Kilroy Silk

WASP?

Report

3. 17 Nov ’08 at 9:55 am

Godfrey Bloom

White, Anglo, Saxon, Protestant, (male, straight, fully abilitated etc).

Report

4. 17 Nov ’08 at 9:05 pm

Brian Paddick

As a gay man I see no necessity in having so many different Reps in the LGBT committee.
    Understandably there should be LGBT representation within the Union, no doubt, but do we really need so many people as opposed to one or two we can rally around and communicate with?

Report

5. Erm…

I’m white, anglo-saxon, CoE, male, straight, studying physics…. You know, exactly what you’re asking for…

But there isn’t a benefit to that. I care about representation but I care more about making sure that those at the fringe aren’t left out or discriminated against. Having liberation officers is important.

But regardless those are just LGBT and Women’s Committee. The other committees haven’t got those positions. YUSU Council only has the LGBT Officers and Women’s Officers and they’re not on the list because they’re elected in spring.

Report

6. I assume that the comments about WASP are meant to be ironic and that nobody is actually stupid enough to believe that skin- colour, ethnicity and religion are of any relevance or importance. WASP rose to some prominence as the preferred criterion of the KKK and I certainly would have hoped that the phrase wouldn’t now see much use outside of historical reference or satire. Incidentally, many of those people elected, and many in the wider YUSU structure, do happen to fulfil this dubious criterion so this discussion is ridiculous in any case.

Report