Student protests over delayed opening of Langwith Bar continue

fire in Derwent
Photo: Michael Brunsden

A second protest against the University has taken place outside of Heslington Hall.

The protesters, who are campaigning for an October opening of the new YUSU-owned Langwith Bar, gathered on the lawn behind the Hall and used drums and a loudhailer to attract the attention of University staff inside.

“Our aim is to make sure the Vice-Chancellor and other university staff know how much an October opening for the bar means to York students,” said Tom Langrish, YUSU Policy and Campaigns Officer, and leader of the protest.

Langrish lead chants of “What do we want? YUSU Bar! When do we want it? October!” Around 50 students assembled for the protest.

YUSU President Anne-Marie Canning and Langwith JCRC Chair Zach Pepper had earlier been granted access to the Hall to meet University Registrar Sally Neocosmos for a meeting with regards to the University’s stance on the opening schedule of the bar. All other protesters were prevented entry by porters on all entrances.

The protest comes just five days after a group of 150 protesters gathered outside of the Hall following the decision by University Vice-Chancellor Brian Cantor not to attend a scheduled meeting on campus development. Following that protest, Neocosmos agreed to meet with student leaders to discuss the situation.

The outcome of their meeting is currently unknown.

Earlier, YUSU President-elect Tom Scott had fired a cannon from Central Hall to launch the protest. He later thanked security staff for their co-operation with his “Anne-Marie Cannon”.

1. ME AGAIN NOT COME TO MEETING.
    ME LEAVE NEOCOSMOS IN CHARGE.
    THIS IS BECAUSE ME SCARED OF CANNON.
    ME ALSO SCARED OF BARS

BUT ME COMPROMISE

YOU CAN HAVE BAR – BUT ONLY RUBBISH, NON-REFURBISED ONE

BYE FOR SUMMER

Report

2. 25 Jun ’08 at 4:42 pm

fed up with minor student interests

so this is what you feel is worth protesting about? when a bar opens?

You should all feel great that time and resources went to campaigning on that.

Report

3. I agree. There are more pressing issues of the day to protest about.

Report

4. “fed up with minor student interests”

Well we won’t be seeing you down there if we get a bar?
    Oh and it isn’t a case of when but if……

Report

5. If only history students had something better to spend their time on….

Report

6. Brian Cantor can’t get rid of Mugabe. Want do you want to protest about, whingers?

Report

7. James College have no bar so why cant langwith too???

Report

8. Please someone explain why all these protesters are wearing jumpsuits? In fact, someone just explain why this is even worth protesting at all? It seems York is now populated by whiny binge drinkers.

Report

9. Tim: It’s something to do with asbestos, although I must admit the link does seem tedious.

But it’s more than just the bar, it’s the principle of the Uni telling us (students) one thing and then going back on it later.

Report

10. The Protest is due to it being a union run bar as appose to a uni ran one which means it is not the same problem which affects James etc.

The jump-suit thing is because the bar’s delayed opening is due to them finding (more) abvestos on campus, meaning the bar will not be open for freshers fortnight. This will seriously bring into doubt its financial viability as the biggest weeks trade of the year will be lost. So the question then becomes ‘if’ it will open.

Which to be honest suits me.

Report

11. “This will seriously bring into doubt its financial viability as the biggest weeks trade of the year will be lost. So the question then becomes ‘if’ it will open.”

Really? One weeks trade makes up for an entire year of poor sales? Blimey! Care to give a source….?

Report

12. re: response

No it wont make up for a full year of poor trade but losing out on the biggest weeks trade of the year plus however extra long it will take until it opens will obviously limit the bars success. Not open=Not taking.

Its actually embarrassing how easilly the uni has fubared the whole bar concept. It never really stood a fighting chance.

‘lol’

Report