York in world’s top 100 universities

York students

The University of York is ranked among the world’s top 100 universities, according to a new set of rankings.

The University is ranked 74th in the QS – Times Higher Education Supplement (THES) rankings, a climb of 50 places from 124 since last year. The league ranks the leading 500 of the world’s 40,000 universities.

The University’s Vice-Chancellor Professor Brian Cantor said: “This independent evaluation is a reflection of the consistently high standard of our teaching and the quality of our research. York is one of the youngest universities in the top 100. To achieve this standing in just 44 years is remarkable.”

Speaking to Nouse, John O’Leary, founder of the World University Rankings and former editor of the THES, said: “York’s scores are strong across the board and their rise this year reflects a growing international reputation. York has done better that it has done recently in a number of years, especially the in the peer review indicator, meaning it has been reviewed well internationally.”

York shares its spot at 74 with Emory University in the United States. It is placed one position above St. Andrews University.

Harvard University maintained its position at the top of the league with an overall score of 100. The Universities of Cambridge and Oxford were tied for second place with a score of 97.6.

British universities were well represented in the table with 32 institutions featuring in the top 200. The top of the table continued to be dominated by American universities with 13 of the top 20 institutions in the United States.

The table was compiled using scores from six different indicators. York scored especially highly in the Employer Review category and the International Students category, scoring 91 and 83, respectively. The Employer Review is compiled by asking employers which universities’ graduates they seek out to employ, while the International Students category.

The table relies heavily on the results of a peer review survey carried out by the THES in partnership with Quacquarelli Symonds (QS), an education services company. 5,101 academics from around the globe are invited to take part in the survey and asked to list what they considered to be the world’s top 30 universities. New measures have been brought in this year in order to prevent academics voting for their own institutions, which often leads to skewed results.

O’Leary said that British universities in general have been helped from a change in methodology which meant no one score in a single category could overly impact a university’s total score. He said: “We apply z-scores to ensure that a really good score in one particular indicator does not carry too much weight, because a lot of the British universities, including York, tend to be strong across all indicators. They have benefitted from a method which means that everything is equally influential.”

­The table’s top 200 universities are in 28 countries, with only four from the developing world – two from Brazil, one from Mexico and South Africa’s University of Cape Town, which entered the top 200 for the first time.