‘Super-buses’ to serve no. 4 route

The university is soon to be served by a fleet of controversial ‘super-buses’ that have cost the First Bus Company over £3 million.

From May 8th new FTR buses, named after the text message version of the word ‘future’, will be running on the No. 4 route.

The new vehicles are air conditioned and fitted with lounge-style seating, described by one tester as like “seating in a night club.” There will also be wall cushions for standing passengers. First believe that the new service will increase usage of the route by 6%.

However, the system of payment which is to be implemented has been described by some as ‘unfair’. Pricing will be standardised to £1.50 for a single, £2.50 for a return and £3 for an all day ticket. Payment onboard will be made by machines which do not give change. Instead, passengers are being encouraged to use a system of text messaging to purchase tickets before travelling.

Conor Cooling, a 2nd year Economics student, believes that the new system is flawed. He said “Why should I be punished if I don’t have the right change?”

York First’s commercial director, John Edwards, has denied that the system is designed to prevent passengers paying by cash but does admit that it will make it “relatively more convenient for people to pre-pay.”