Roberto Avelar and Olivia May Grütter

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Roberto
Second Year
James
Genetics

Olivia
Second Year
Vanbrugh
Psychology

Why did you decide to run for International Officer?
We are both keen on getting more involved with the international community and we believe we have both the experience and the determination necessary to further improve the ISA. We hope to be able to tackle all of your #InternationalStudentProblems.

Sum up your main policies.
– Increase communication between colleges in order to both create more varied events catered to international students, and to collect feedback about how the ISA is doing from both students and college committees.
– Continue the success that this year’s ISA has had in increasing international student participation in events. We plan on increasing advertisements for events through different mediums, such as individual college newsletters that don’t currently advertise international events very often.
– Often, students with British citizenship have lived abroad their entire lives but choose to come back to the UK for university. Although they are considered home students, they are likely to identify more with the international community, so we aim to include these students in all international events.

Describe yourselves in three words.
Roberto: Charismatic, relatable, short.
Olivia: Hard-working, creative, really-short.

What makes you different to the other candidates?
We are both really determined to do a good job and deliver on all of our main policies, and have therefore already started to try and implement them in case we do get elected. We have already been in contact with some of the ISA’s committee to discuss how we can meet our policies and what has and hasn’t worked in the past.

We are also working on contacting different college committees across campus and have even started to sort out deals for future events we have planned in town. We’ve both been international students our whole lives and know what it feels like to be a new student in a foreign place, so we are determined to make the next three terms a blast if we are elected.

What experience do you have that will be good for the role?
Roberto: I am currently the International Officer for James College and have organized multiple events for international students. I was also an International and Alternative STYC for James College during Freshers’ Week.
Olivia: I’m currently a volunteer for multiple charities (Artistic Autistic and Life Updates) that work with individuals within York’s community and want to further my involvement by helping international students.

What will you do differently to Aashna Sehgal, the current International Officer?
The ISA this year has done a fantastic job in increasing international student involvement in events compared to previous years, and we want to further improve on this. Furthermore, we are putting more emphasis on communication between colleges and we are considering creating specific roles in the ISA’s committee dedicated to working with the college committees across campus (and possibly even international societies) in order to create more varied events and collect feedback on our work more effectively.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourselves.
Between the two of us we’ve lived in 15 different countries across every continent except Antarctica.

What do you think of the other candidates?
They seem hard working and committed to the role, and if either of them get the position we wish them the best of luck and hope they do a good job.

What do you think the biggest challenge you’ll face during elections will be?
Our biggest challenge will be to communicate effectively with as many people as possible on our policies and ideas.

What’s your campaign strategy?
We are relatable people and plan on using this in our favour.