Mia Chaudhuri-Julyan

Mia Chaudhuri-Julyan, English Literature 3rd year

What are your three main policies? 1. Support: centralised welfare request system on e:vision to make seeking help with any problem stress-free, easy and trackable (alongside the current system). This would take the admin burden off students and use allocated ‘welfare advisers’ to signpost to the correct support, communicate with the student’s department if necessary, help with mitigating circumstances and check up later. 2. Engage: jargon-busting, ‘Student Community and Wellbeing 101’ handbooks for all students (to be emailed out) which would explain everything from, for example, what a ‘sabb’ is, to LGBTQ and BAME terminology, to how students can submit ideas to YUSU, to what mental health is – plus details of liberation networks and support services. 3. Encourage: termly debate forum where students can nominate an important York related issue to talk about in teams in front of an audience – to encourage communication between opposing groups of students and develop real, applicable solutions to be presented as an idea to policy review.

Could you describe yourself in two – three sentences? I’m someone who really cares. I try to be positive in everything I do and focus on solutions when faced with a problem. I’m always up for a laugh but I also love my degree and I’ve tried to make my time here meaningful as much as possible!

What makes you well suited for the role? I’m not afraid to challenge and negotiate with the University to deliver the support that students deserve and need. As YUSU Women’s Officer this year, I’ve delivered unprecedented initiatives including (for example) persuading the University to approve gender-neutral consent talks. This term I’m asking you to let me put my experience, passion and drive to good use for York.

How are you planning to conduct your campaign? I’m going to be launching a public Facebook page, Instagram and a Snapchat, but also keep an eye out for my blue and black signs up in Week 7, as well as cheeky appearances to come chat to lots of you at society meetings and sports practices!