Ilyas Sliti and Richard Osho

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Ilyas
Second Year
Langwith
Politics

Richard
Second Year
Vanbrugh
Criminology

What made you decide to run for International Officer?
We felt we have both gained so much from the international community in the past year, attending and helping in international events on campus. We felt like this would be the perfect way to give back to the community. More importantly, we want to see if we can help improve the overall experience of the student body.

Sum up your main policies.
Internationalisation, integration. and employability are our three main aims.

Describe yourselves in three words.
Creative, calm and confident.

What experience do you have that will be good for the role?
I think we have both had experiences trying to settle down in a new country and we [empathise] with the difficulties adapting to new cultures. We think socialising and learning from our differences with people is the best remedy when trying to bring people from different cultures together. We have experience in coordinating and hosting events which will be a useful skill when organising Global Week if we win.

What will you do differently to Aashna Sehgal, the current International Officer?
We want to target our campaign at both home students and international students. We feel we can help both sets of students, and want to encourage them to learn and gain from each other.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourselves.
Ilyas: I have eight siblings.
Richard: My favourite artist is Jean-Michel Basquiat.

What do you think the biggest challenge you’ll face during elections will be?
To increase voter turnout by getting votes of people who don’t normally vote.

What’s your campaign strategy?
Our campaign is all about encouraging more participation [to] get more people talking about the position itself. We want to market ourselves as approachable people who are willing to listen and learn from the other people’s student experience, and aim to add and improve it. We believe this attitude will allow students to endorse us to the rest of the student community.