Faye Astin and Becky Longbottom

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Faye
Second Year
Langwith
Law

Becky
Second Year
James
Sociology with Social Psychology

What made you decide to run for Volunteering Officer?
We both are very passionate about volunteering and believe that it should be something everyone at university gets a chance to be involved with. We want to shout about volunteering and really raise its profile on campus.

Sum up your main policies.
Our main policies are to raise the profile of volunteering on campus, making it more accessible to everyone, strengthen the communication between the colleges and the projects to widen the volunteering opportunities, and to bring about more opportunities for volunteering in the local community.

Describe yourselves in three words.
Full of life!

What makes you different to the other candidates?
We have both been on the committee for a year so have experienced what it takes to make events successful and fun for all involved.

What experience do you have that will be good for the role?
Like we’ve said, we have both been on the committee and have helped in planning events in the past.

What will you do differently to Harriet Page and Ollie Rowley, the current Volunteering Officers?
Harriet and Ollie have done amazing work this year and we want to carry on their legacy. We believe we can keep the volunteering ball rolling by having open meetings with students to find out what they want to see happening in terms of volunteering at York.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourselves.
Becky’s granddad was a top scientist at BP. He was that good he retired three times because they kept wanting him back.

What do you think of the other candidates?
There aren’t any other candidates for our role but there are some incredible people standing for roles like President and Welfare and Community Officer.

What do you think the biggest challenge you’ll face during elections will be?
Trying to get people to vote for us for the right reasons even though we are unopposed.

What’s your campaign strategy?
We want the students to vote for us for the right reasons. Being part of volunteering at York often involves food so we might use food as part of the campaign and as a sign of things to come!