Evie Brill and Jack Chadwick

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Evie
Second Year
Vanbrugh
English and Related Literature

Jack
Second Year
Halifax
Politics and Philosophy

What made you decide to run for LBGTQ Officer?
We care passionately about LGBTQ rights, love being involved in the Network and want to carry on the amazing work that has happened so far!

Sum up your main policies.
We summed them up in our manifesto as ‘intersectionality and cake’. We basically want to tackle as many intersectional issues since LGBTQ issues do not exist in a vacuum. Plus we’re already part of almost all the other liberation groups on campus and want to collaborate with them as much as possible. The other thing is really just providing even more incentives for people to get involved with the Network (as if hanging out with a bunch of fabulous people wasn’t enough).

Describe yourselves in three words.
Evie: We’re hella queer!

What makes you different to the other candidates?
I think our main selling point is that we are probably the most diverse candidates. We are the only pair of different genders running, for instance.

What experience do you have that will be good for the role?
We’re both going into our third year and have been a part of the Network since first year. Jack has even held two different positions since he joined. We’ve also been heavily involved in other societies. Evie was at one point on three society committees (all which had strong links to LGBTQ issues).

What will you do differently to Madeleine Boden, the current LGBTQ Officer?
We were so impressed by Maddie’s running of the Network this year that she effectively inspired us to run. In all honesty, we don’t plan to do anything wildly different apart from there being two of us to spread the workload a bit more easily. Our policies are mostly an extension of what is already there. However, we do want to bring in a couple of new convener positions. Oh, and have some snacks at meetings!

Tell us an interesting fact about yourselves.

Evie: I used to play amateur tricycle hockey.

What do you think of the other candidates?

Evie: I think it’s wonderful that we’re all so passionate about the same things. As far as I know, there are no hard feelings between us. I know three of the others pretty well and at the end of the day I think we’d all do a good job.

What do you think the biggest challenge you’ll face during elections will be?
Evie: I can get a little nervous about public speaking when under a lot of pressure.

What’s your campaign strategy?
We don’t really have anything particularly Machiavellian going on. Our hope is that people will vote for us because they think we’ll do a good job.

1. Thrilled to see that the new LGBTQ officers won their campaign on a slogan from a show that uses trans*phobic slurs like “sissy” “tranny” and “shemale” on a regular basis. Great job YUSU

• Faves can be problematic. We totally accept that RuPaul’s Drag Race has been transphobic. In fact, Jack has even done a talk in network about drag and the problematic issues that arise from it. As it stands, the slogan itself is not transphobic. It was a tongue-in-cheek thing that we found amusing and others did too. If you had any problems with our campaign, I fail to see why you didn’t contact us directly and alert us to your concerns instead of passive-aggressively trying to smear it here?