Denis Farrer and Shaquile Noor

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Denis
Second Year
Halifax
PPE

Shaquile
Second Year
Halifax
Social and Political Sciences

What made you decide to run for Environment and Ethics Officer?
We decided to run because we care about the environment and the quality of student life here at York. Even though a lot of great work has been done over the past couple of years with regard to improvements in recycling, we feel York can do a lot better. We wanted to improve York’s ranking of 109th on the latest University Green Table Ranking.

Sum up your main policies.
– Encourage the use of sustainable food production by giving each college its own small allotment, allowing students to grow their own vegetables.
– Increase the University’s reliance on sustainable energy resources which includes the use of solar panels on key buildings around campus.
– Encourage the engagement of students in the implementation of YUSU policy by introducing a forum for open discussion of ethical and environmental concerns.
– As students we realise money is a big concern. We feel that you should be able to bring homemade food onto campus with the option of warming it up. It is for this reason we feel that the introduction of microwaves in the library cafeteria will help save money for students.

Describe yourselves in three words.
Responsible, reliable, approachable.

What makes you different to the other candidates?
People should vote for us because we are friendly, approachable people who will work hard to improve the student quality of life at our university.

What experience do you have that will be good for the role?
Shaquile: I already have experience of putting the policy knowledge, logical thinking and analytical skills I developed during my degree to use in a parliamentary setting and in my previous role in the Economic Development, Communications and Mayor’s Executive Office within Tower Hamlets Council. In both of these roles I have developed the ability to produce research of high quality at a fast pace as and when needed, and to provide general support around the office responding to enquiries and producing material including presentations, press releases and social media output.

In addition to my responsibilities working directly with the Council, I have previously shadowed under the Shadow Minister Stephen Timms. In doing so, I have gained experience managing competing demands, tasks and priorities and a good working knowledge of the principles of project management.

Denis: I was a Youth Leader at the Voices and Vibes Charity. I helped run activities such as football tournaments at many youth centres across deprived areas of East London. I was also Managing Director of my sixth form Young Enterprise Scheme. Both of these roles have graced me with the ability to organise events, communicate effectively with different people and implement key policies.

What will you do differently to Oliver Duguid and Charles Pottle, the current Environment and Ethics Officers?
We think Oliver and Charles have done a great job. We are aiming to increase student engagement in environmental and ethical issues. This is why we want to set up a policy forum that allows students to discuss ways in which we can make our university more environmentally friendly.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourselves.
Denis: I can burp the alphabet.
Shaquile: I can eat a pizza in 15 seconds.

What do you think of the other candidates?
We don’t really know Tess and Jacob. They seem like nice people who will also do a good job. Students are spoilt for choice this year.

What do you think the biggest challenge you’ll face during elections will be?
We are positive and are keeping an open mind. When a challenge comes along we’ll let you know.

What’s your campaign strategy?
We plan on winning with a combination of hard work, networking and by running the best campaign. Our strategy is to secure as many votes as we can by campaigning on the issues that people most care about.

These candidates do not currently have a 60 second manifesto video.