Anand Goyal and Michelle Lee

Image: YUSU

Image: YUSU

Anand
Second Year
Halifax
Physics

Michelle
Second Year
Halifax
Economics

What made you decide to run for RAG Officer?
We both want the next year to be RAG’s biggest year. We’re both passionate about fundraising and philanthropy, and RAG is the best way to get involved in that. We want to make it more accessible for more people, as [it’s] so much fun to organise and take part in RAG fundraising events such as raids or the events that take place in RAG Week.

Sum up your main policies.
Getting sponsors for RAG so we have a bigger budget for events, creating an online portal where students can send in ideas or ask for help for their own events and promoting a greater awareness of what RAG is through social media and on campus in a more effective way than in prior years.

Describe yourselves in three words.
Determined to win.

What makes you different to the other candidates?
There’s two of us which means extra people power should we win in the elections. We’re both extremely committed to building RAG up and creating a lasting legacy of a more robust RAG.

What experience do you have that will be good for the role?
We both have vast experience fundraising and doing various philanthropic work. Anand’s family run a foundation called HGF, which is focused on talking women’s issues and educating children. Michelle is part of a student-led charity called Rescue the Rohingya. Anand is also Vice-Chair of Events on the RAG Committee so he has a lot of direct experience with RAG.

What will you do differently to Georgia Paton, the current RAG Officer?
Georgia has done an amazing job on her own. However, running an operation as large as RAG as an individual is really difficult and time consuming. With two of us, we hope to create a more cohesive RAG committee from the get-go. So events for the next year can be planned well in advanced, which sometimes isn’t possible with one RAG Officer.

Tell us an interesting fact about yourselves.
Anand studies astrophysics and is Indian, thus [is] exactly the same as Rajesh Koothrappali from The Big Bang Theory. Michelle is currently learning piano from a children’s piano book.

What do you think of the other candidates?
One’s good, one isn’t.

What do you think the biggest challenge you’ll face during elections will be?
One aim of the elections is both to promote us as individuals and RAG as well. It’s a great chance to promote RAG and increase awareness about what it is. Thus our greatest challenge is finding a way to promote the two in way that gets people clued up about who we are and what RAG is.

What’s your campaign strategy?
Blitz campus with a blaze of posters and signs. Make sure to get our message out and make sure everyone knows who we are!