Recent Comments

1. I love Mike’s music, and was also less impressed after buying the album, but as I listened to it, it started to grow on me and now I absolutely love it

2. 31 Jan ’17 at 12:10 am

Anonymous on The limits of hope: an ode to Barack Obama

Obama might not have been as bad as Nixon/Kissinger, but his Presidency is certainly worse than suggested here. The phrase ‘untarnished by scandal’ has been frequently repeated across the web, and is particularly inane. Obamacare is a bureaucratic nightmare for countless reasons, and the IRS was used to target conservatives to push the ACA through. That’s scandal one. The NSA scandal saw millions of civilian emails and phone calls collected in violation of fourth amendment rights. He also stacked his administration with lobbyists and the NLRB with unionists (the latter without Congressional approval), while giving tax dollars to ‘green energy’ companies whose shareholders had made substantial donations to his campaign. Beyond that you’ve got the ATF scandal, which saw untraceable guns walked across the Arizona-Mexico border, and the mess that was Benghazi. All this is not to mention the ridiculous arms initiatives in the Middle East, the ludicrous bailing out of General Motors, the failed attempt to fix the banks via the Dodd-Frank reforms, and the deterioration of race-relations. The genius of Obama was his expansion of the administration to such an extent as to maintain his plausible deniability when things went wrong.

I also have an issue with the suggestion that Moscow being on the rise is categorically disastrous. The relentless haranguing of Russia twenty-five years after the Cold War is boring, and I hope that the Trump administration will, if nothing else, foster better relations with Russia.

3. 30 Jan ’17 at 9:35 pm

Anonymous on There’s More than Meets the Ear

I understand you’re focusing on British cultural history, but in the grander scheme of things the Pop Art movement was hardly the beginning of album cover design. No mention is made here of Alex Steinweiss or of Reid Miles. The latter’s incredibly modern work for Alfred Lion prefigured in many ways the striking artwork highlighted in your article (not least in terms of their prominent typology).

4. 30 Jan ’17 at 3:28 pm

Anonymous on EDITOR’S OPINION: Veganuary is just the beginning

Thanks so much for urging people to go vegan! I’ve been vegan for more than 24 years. Best decision ever. I lost unwanted weight when I went vegan, and I never worry about my cholesterol levels. But I feel especially good knowing that my food choices don’t harm animals or degrade the environment. And vegan foods are tasty and affordable. I hope everyone will give them a try. With all the great vegan options around, there’s just no excuse to eat animals and animal secretions.

5. 29 Jan ’17 at 11:29 pm

trash on York student stars in confused.com advert

wat u on mate he has a very sexy hair cut ur the annoying **** and wat kind of nam is johnny johnson lol

6. 14 Jan ’17 at 4:30 pm

Ashling on Childhood Interrupted, Kathleen O’Malley

I only found this book two months ago! Had never heard of it before. I was a boarder with the same nuns in Moate. An incredible book, extraordinary recall and life story. I am not surprised at all by the cruelty and abuse. I am so glad you wrote it. I remember seeing the lines of girls outside the classroom windows going to the fields , the steam coming out of the launderette windows. I am sorry, I didn’t know what was going on. I hated every second of being in that school, experiencing a different abuse there. Nothing compared to the relentless humiliation and terror you had. You, your mother incredible. There is so much I would like to say. Thank you for writing this book. It should have a prominent place in Irish literary history. Ashling.

7. We seem to be in the ” post truth” era. Trump promised a lot and within a few days said that he wasn’t going to do many of the things he said he would. This isn’t surprising since much of what he promised is undeliverable. What is surprising is that no one seems to care that he is reneging . Sane politicians don’t stand a chance and telling things as they are won’t win against telling things people would like to hear. Maybe in a few years when dissolusion sets it we will return to the status quo pre Trump/ Brexit. Till then batten down the hatches. Telling the truth . Putting forward achievable policies aren’t going to work for a while

8. 7 Oct ’16 at 2:41 pm

fernly2 on Cowspiracy: The truth about animal agriculture

Vegetarian for over 50 years after seeing Cowspiracy vegan sounds better. Will have to rethink my relationship with the deer that are eating my peaches? There must be a balance here somewhere living in a state where agriculture is important but not as important as manufacture of munitions.

9. 7 Oct ’16 at 8:12 am

JB on Israel says goodbye to Peres

A less rose tinted view

10. 5 Sep ’16 at 9:37 am

UoYStudent on University of York undecided over fee increases

It now appears that the University ARE increasing fees to £9,250 as “York’s tuition fees for 2017/18 entry are expected to be £9,250* per year for UK/EU students and Jersey, Guernsey and Isle of Man residents.” (https://www.york.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/fees-funding/uk-eu/)

11. 18 Aug ’16 at 11:28 pm

James on Brexit: what is the future for UK science?

“No state has ever left the EU before”

This is incorrect (sort of). Greenland, as an autonomous country within the Danish realm, voted to leave the EEC in 1982.

12. 18 Aug ’16 at 2:29 pm