Recent Comments

1. 20 Dec ’14 at 9:08 pm

Addriene on Europe’s New Arrest Warrant

insurance loans life

2. 20 Dec ’14 at 5:39 pm

Lynn on Student protests: what are we fighting for?

life insurance life

3. 20 Dec ’14 at 1:41 am

Janaye on Student protests: what are we fighting for?

life insurance mutual

4. 19 Dec ’14 at 7:23 pm

Torie on Student protests: what are we fighting for?

cheap life insurance

5. 19 Dec ’14 at 2:40 pm

Jaclyn on Europe’s New Arrest Warrant

policies insurance life

6. 16 Dec ’14 at 2:17 pm

DerwentGrad on Students to pay for college membership

They’re glorified halls of residence, not colleges. Socially marvelous, and a nice way to ‘sort’ accommodation into rent bands but they’re not really academically important. The staffing and funding structures aren’t comparable to other collegiate universities because York is collegiate in name only.

7. 11 Dec ’14 at 5:01 pm

Johnny on The Rise of YUUKIP

I didn’t mean to adopt a “defensive” stance, and I apologise if you took my comment in this way. I understood the point of the article, but objected mainly to its tone, a tone which is surely out of fashion considering that UKIP have such huge nationwide support (let it be known at this point that I’m not in any way a UKIP supporter, just someone who objects to their misrepresentation). “from a plethora of students who disagree with UKIP’s far-right policies”… I think phrasings like this are highly naïve if you’ve ever met a UKIP supporter in real life (I have met many and spoken to them extensively. None of them I would say are ‘far-right’. There are certainly far-right politicians and voters attracted to UKIP, but that doesn’t make the whole party far-right).

As to your point about UKIP specifically among the student body, I’m fairly sure that UKIP have a reasonable level of support among students, enough to warrant a society and not be (predictably) condemned in such a rebarbative fashion. If any other society that hasn’t even had chance to do anything wrong at all became ratified, would it receive the same level of flak? I would say no.

So what I’m saying is that these predictable responses and comments about UKIP, which I would argue amounts to a kind of hysteria, should be replaced by actually productive debate. ‘Free speech’ cannot be fulfilled unless it is entrenched into the way a society works and opposition groups are given the chance to organise.

8. 8 Dec ’14 at 8:47 pm

The Sweden Report on Sweden’s snap election

As an American living in Sweden for 6 years, I am convinced that the unique – and extreme – immigration of primarily low-educated people from a very different culture is going to have dire consequences for Swedish society in the years ahead regardless of the March election outcome. This has also triggered a massive white flight phenomenon that in turn has inflated the housing market in a way that reminds me of USA in 2006-2007. Add rampant islamism in the no-go zones and you have quite the volatile cocktail.

9. 8 Dec ’14 at 7:48 pm

77 on The Rise of YUUKIP

Was it ever said in the article that the soc shouldn’t be ratified? I’m not sure why such a defensive stance was needed. The point of the article was that rule-abiding societies are welcome, debate is welcome, and all YUUKIP need to watch out for is the fact they are polarising and so have a huge number of detractors.

And I’m not sure why UKIP’s support outside students demands that they have greater representation to students.

10. 8 Dec ’14 at 3:31 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger on Packham on the Plate: cookie pizza at The Charles XII

PUT THAT COOKIE DOWN! NOW!

11. Shut up snob.

This article is a sign of everything wrong with middle-class Oxford rejects at York. The rest of us plebs actually like the Charles.

Done yourself no favours with this article.

12. Couldn’t have said it better myself. I would have been upset over Beth’s death either way, but if she had at least died helping someone else, it would’ve felt OK. This was wasteful and stupid, and I can’t believe the writers did such a bad job. I’ve always admired their work so much. I don’t ‘get this’ at all.

© 1964–2014 Nouse Dashboard | Edit | Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Policies |