Recent Comments

1. The two sides here are describing different conceptualisations of ‘safe space’. Both are valid, but I agree that only Abbie’s should be campus-wide. Ciaran describes a space that should be localised and opt-in.

The difference here is that the Yes article talks about safety from offensiveness and insensitivity, which is obviously desirable. A lack of safe spaces often means silencing oppressed voices, which is not conducive to debate.

Ciaran describes a rule meaning you cannot disagree with the prevailing opinion. That’s not what it’s about, but an easy misconception to make when you have no need for safe spaces yourself.

Triggers are not something that the social justice movement has created; they are a valid psychological term for something that will set off distressing mental health responses like anxiety, panic attacks, suicidal thoughts or dysphoria.

It should be noted that safe spaces at this university, such as those active in WomCom, LGBTQ and FemSoc, do not forbid the discussion of potentially triggering topics. The policy is to add trigger warnings, so that it is possible to avoid personally unhealthy topics. Ciaran conflates this practice with the practice of banning people who disregard this policy, which a campus-wide safe space policy would not be able to enact anyway.

2. This woman needs to get over herself. Bet jazz hands was really ‘inclusive’ to blind people at the conference. Oh wait…

3. 24 Apr ’15 at 11:35 pm

Anonymous on US policing and the freedom to be shot

If they confiscate the guns owned by law abiding citizens then the criminals who own them illegally and will have free rein on society and crime statistics will increase substantially.

4. 24 Apr ’15 at 6:59 pm

Grammar Nazi on Chaos at James College Pride Night

Perhaps you should have made an equally concious effort to check for errors in your writing.

5. 24 Apr ’15 at 12:37 pm

Wish I was there on Chaos at James College Pride Night

Overly sensitive York students reacting hysterically to an offensive comedian? Wish I was there!!

6. 24 Apr ’15 at 7:51 am

Sensitive Millennial Snowflake on Chaos at James College Pride Night

I declare that I’m offended! I assure you I’ve been triggered!

What I really mean is I’m narcissistic and entitled.

7. 24 Apr ’15 at 6:39 am

Sp. on Roses 2015 Preview: Basketball

I think you mean Devang Anand and Sophiché Bennett…

8. 23 Apr ’15 at 11:09 pm

No. on Chaos at James College Pride Night

When did I say I was triggered? You don’t seem to understand what that means.

9. 23 Apr ’15 at 10:01 pm

Kate Marshall on Transgender children deserve to have our attention

Links seem to have gone missing, so:
    The NHS statistics can be found here http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Gender-dysphoria/Pages/Treatment.aspx
    The Trans Mental Health study is here http://www.scottishtrans.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/trans_mh_study.pdf

10. 23 Apr ’15 at 9:58 pm

Ashamed on Chaos at James College Pride Night

Whoever pulled that alarm should be kicked out of Uni. Seriously. That drag queen could have been Frankie Boyle in a dress and it is still not an appropriate response to call out an emergency service.
    As context: One of my family members works for the emergency service in question. There are only two fire engines in York. When a uni fire alarm sounds, both get called out. Hence why uni-wide there are CCTV cameras on most of the fire alarms.
    The people who pulled this one are on CCTV and should be kicked out of uni. People could have died because they were titting about. Got a problem with the act? Talk to the bar manager, leave in a huff, take over the stage, whatever. But call a random emergency service out just to make a point? Are you fucking kidding me? You should be disgusted with yourself.

11. This is such a messy situation it would take any journalist no matter how qualified at least a year to figure out what the hell is going on…all we do know is Usman is long from dead #YESWEKHAN

12. 23 Apr ’15 at 9:29 pm

Ally on York Union: General Election Debate York Outer

G*psy is a slur. If you mean traveller, say traveller. If you’re referring specifically to Roma or Sinti people, say so.