Premier League Round-Up: Gameweek 3

runs down the events of Gameweek 3 in the Premier League

Wolves 1-1 Manchester City: VAR anyone? After the successful use of Video Assistant Referee in this summer’s World Cup, the unanimous decision taken by Premier League clubs to reject its introduction is going to look worse and worse with each passing week. Willy Boly’s handball put Wolves ahead before Aymeric Laporte’s thumping header drew City level. City drop points for only the 9th time in the last 49 games but with Newcastle, Fulham, Cardiff and Brighton to play next, I expect them to rebound comfortably.

AFC Bournemouth 2-2 Everton: Two red cards, four goals, twelve minutes of injury time. The Barclays is back and delivering in top, top fashion. Everton’s £50m man Richarlison spoiled his promising start to the season after he (technically) headbutted Cherries defender Adam Smith, who was also shown a red for pulling back Theo Walcott later in the game.

Arsenal 3-1 West Ham: Arsenal finally get some points on the board after successive defeats by City and Chelsea. After falling behind early on the Gunner’s steadied themselves to comeback as Jack Wilshere showed why his contract wasn’t renewed. West Ham lose their opening three games and look set to be embroiled in another season of nothingness, will probably finish 14th.

Huddersfield 0-0 Cardiff: Three games into the season we already have the first proverbial six pointer, quite fitting that the game ended goalless, then. Both teams lack the quality to survive in the Premier League and will be involved in a dog fight until the end.

Southampton 1-2 Leicester: What do you mean Harry Maguire didn’t score a towering header? Leicester have an expected goals of 0.64 from their last two games and have remarkably scored 4 goals, Harry Maguire’s driven shot from 25 yards out in injury time secured the points after Pierre-Emile Højbjerg was given a second yellow for diving.

Liverpool 1-0 Brighton: A certain Portuguese manager will have been cursing from his Lowry hotel room after this. Liverpool succeeded where United could not. Mo Salah’s excellent curling finish in the first half proved to be enough to maintain Liverpool’s perfect start to the season.

Watford 2-1 Crystal Palace: Roberto Pereyra, again? Pereyra gave Watford the lead after half time to put himself and the club (joint) top of the table and scoring charts. Jose Holebas doubled the hosts lead with 20 minutes to go before Wilfred Zaha pulled one to set up a nervy last 10 minutes. Watford held on to maintain their perfect start.

Fulham 4-2 Burnley: Burnley again showed a European hangover after they endured their second defeat of this week, after falling 3-1 behind in their Europa League play-off against Olympiakos. This time their defeat came at the hands of Fulham, who secured their first win of the season following an impressive transfer window. Their win included a superb strike from new boy Jean Michaël Seri.

Newcastle 1-2 Chelsea: Chelsea continued their impressive start to the season under new coach Maurizio Sarri, even if their win against Newcastle did require an Eden Hazard penalty and a late DeAndre Yedlin own goal. My favourite thing from this game was Paul Lambert’s criticism of Rafael Benitez’s approach to the match against Chelsea, questioning his how defensive he set up his side. Of course its been 6 years since Benitez’s Chelsea thumped Lambert’s Aston Villa 8-0…

Manchester United 0-3 Tottenham: It seems Mourinho’s third season syndrome is in full swing, after an embarrassing defeat away to Brighton last week, United succumbed to a 3-0 defeat to Spurs on Monday Night Football. 3 games into the season United have already conceded 25% of the goals they conceded in the whole of last season, the question seems to be how long will Mourinho last not if he will last now surely. As for Spurs, they continued their perfect start to the season, in the midst of disaster off the pitch with their stadium delayed by several months and despite the fact they didn’t sign a player in the summer. Pochettino continues to impress at Spurs no matter the circumstances he finds himself in.