Premier League Round-Up: Gameweek 2

returns to Nouse Sport to give his verdict on the second week of Premier League action

Cardiff 0-0 Newcastle: Yawn. Kenedy had a shocker and that’s about it. Etheridge is in a great vein of form.

Tottenham 3-1 Fulham: Tottenham played as decently as you’d expect but you’d also think Fulham will get going eventually. They have some great quality and Sessegnon, Mitrovic and co. had glimpses of quality against Spurs. Just wait for the gears to start turning for Jokanovic and The Cottagers will get going.

West Ham 1-2 Bournemouth: Bournemouth to win after they go one-down is fast becoming a safe bet. Callum Wilson will be linked away next window but for now, he is showing Hazard-esque dribbling. West Ham should’ve seen this out and, unlike Fulham, you could see their big names continuing to falter indefinitely.

Leicester City 2-0 Wolves: Wolves were unlucky here. By the time Leicester went down to 10, it was already too late. But promoted sides have these sorts of games. Leicester’s James Maddison will play for England soon and good on him, he’s fantastic.

Everton 2-1 Southampton: Who’d have thought that Richarlison wasn’t just a cocky bastard when he said he wanted to be the top goalscorer. Everton and Southampton were fairly evenly matched but maybe Everton were fortunate to not have Pickford sent off. Silva is doing quite well thus far.

Chelsea 3-2 Arsenal: Great game but truly defensively shocking. Anyone who thinks either of these two can challenge Manchester City after a game like that is sorely mistaken. Brilliant for the neutral spectator with the number of chances afforded to both attackers in the opposition box. Emery will be feeling the heat already.

Manchester City 6-1 Huddersfield: Shock of the weekend? I think not. City were scintillating again. The speed and purpose of their passing and movement play like a souped-up version of the footballing basics taught to children. Huddersfield never stood a chance, especially when Hamer is playing like that.

Burnley 1-3 Watford: Great quality finishes from Gray, Deeney and Hughes emphasised a greater quality. The 4-2-2-2 has a really good feel to it for Watford. Pereya is a player who could play for a top-6 side and Watford will hope he can maintain his good form to help them challenge for top-10 and maybe Europa League this season. European hangover for Burnley?

Brighton 3-2 Manchester United: Mourinho meltdown imminent. Bailly and Lindelof have shown why Jose thought he needed a CB last window but he’s had a full 2 years to get his man and results like these is only going to hamper confidence. Brighton took their chances well and exploited United’s weaknesses once they were identified.

Crystal Palace 0-2 Liverpool: Hodgson will feel aggrieved but the steel Liverpool showed in defence will put the scares into Manchester City. Scintillating but soft-cored at times last season, Liverpool showed that they have a mettle and that, in essence, is a massive boost for them. Alisson looked great.