Record numbers expected to go through clearing

Image: City of Stoke on Trent Sixth Form College

Ahead of A-Level results day tomorrow, analysis by the Fashion Retail Academy has suggested that record numbers of students will gain university places through clearing. The FRA predicts that 17,538 students will secure spots through clearing, up from 14 800 in 2017.

The first phase of clearing will take place after A-Level results are released at 8:00 am, tomorrow as students who do not, or cannot, confirm their offered places or were not offered a place with any of their five UCAS choices look to find themselves a course.

Image: UCAS

Clearing applications have nearly doubled in the last five years and this has coincided with a fall in conventional UCAS applications by the end of June for the last three years. Last year, the fall in conventional applications was 3.7 per cent and these falls create an atmosphere in universities that are more suited to students who want to go through clearing.

Typically, when the number of students going to university is stagnating, and the number of early applications falls, clearing becomes a more important method of filling places. This importance is for both institutions, who are trying to find students to fill places, and the students who are looking for a university course. This means there are more places available on courses that traditionally fill up quickly and creates a “buyers’ market” in the days following the release of A-Level results.